Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BobB

CX-Server problem

13 posts in this topic

I am currently commissioning a job with 8 x CJ2M-CPU33. All networked with Ethernet IP. When I am connected to several PLCs and I disconnect from 1 PLC, CX-Server quite often stops working and I had to close CX-Programmer and start it up again to get CX-Server working again. Makes life a bit difficult when you are trying to switch between up to 8 PLCs at a time. Machine is a Dell XPS laptop with the 17" screen, Windows 7 x 64 bit. The OS is a clean install without any of the usual Dell stuff installed - reformatted the hard drive and got rid of all the standard Dell stuff. All power saving stuff has been turned off and the machine runs flat out. Anyone seen this before? Any thoughts? Regards Bob

Hi Bob, what connection method do you use, USB, Ethernet I/P, FINS? I don't know this behaviour but it might be worth trying another connection method.

Hi Pim, Ethernet IP - it appears to be OK when just connected to one PLC but when connected to more than one this happens - SOMETIMES - sometimes OK. USB is fine and so is Ethernet IP when only connected to one PLC. Strange that it only happens sometimes. I do not want to use USB as I need to connect to them all constantly. I have one PLC about 370 metres away and have used Adam Ethernet to ST fibre converters - they just work - ruddy brilliant. I would strongly recommend Adam stuff to anyone - have never had a problem. Advantech is the manufacturer. They also have a USB/232/422/485 converter that is isolated and is powered by the USB port. Have used that several times for connecting a SCADA serially to Omron PLCs (RS422) - just worked. Screw terminals too on the serial side. Will have to try it with CX-P one day - I would almost bet it would work.

Whoops! No one else had the problem? I have programmed the firewall for CX-P but maybe that is the problem. I will turn off the firewall on Monday and see how it goes. Will let all know. Regards Bob

No I don't recall running into this, regular come across projects with CJ2s networked by EIP. You are not just limited to 1 PLC when connected by USB, you can drill into any EIP PLC on the network easily just as with Toolbus across Controllerlink.

Turned off the firewall today - same result. Have no idea what is causing this - unless it is Microsucks updates. Even the Ethernet switches are the Omron ones.

Bob, have you tried the ethernet and ethernet(fins/tcp) ? does this produce the same result as ethernet/ip

I only get the choice of USB or Ethernet/IP wit CX-P. Rarely had a problem with the old laptop running 7 x 64 bit with multiple PLCs. Will have to battel on and see how I go - try to suss out the issue.

Check the box "Show all". That shows the other methods.

I don't have a solution for you but I'm curious...is there a reason that you can't stay online to all 8 PLC's together until you're done doing whatever you have to do? Are all 8 in the same project? At least that way the nuisance crash could be mostly avoided.

I do have to disconnect and reconnect at times as power is turned off and on to different panels - other people doing work as well. We all have to try and help each other get the job over the line. Also to copy and paste symbols between PLCs - cannot do it with the PLC online. Sometimes it is OK - that is what puzzles me. Even closing CX-P with PLCs online causes the same problem. Will have a look at the other options - nearly out of there - a couple of days left only.

You probably also noticed that CJ2 series put A LOT more load on CX-P thant CJ1 did. Try copying an average CJ2 PLC in CX-P with some FB and rungs. It takes forever.

FBs do not cause me a problem - I very rarely use the horrid things. I have not had a chance yet to fiddle about with alternate comms methods yet as the pressure is on. Will see if AI have time tomorrow. The problem continues but not every time I disconnect a PLC - only sometimes. The new laptop beast is handling CX-P very well though and is pretty speedy. Even CX-D is not smashing the video card too much.