Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
clyde72

MicroLogix DF1 connector

12 posts in this topic

Well if it is here search will not find it. Can anyone give me a manufacturer and part number for a male connector that will plug into the DF1 port on a MicroLogix 1000. Can you also recommend a cable that works well for this connector in an RS-232 usage? Also is it a 8 pin DIN or Mini 8 pin DIN? Thanks

It's the same cable as the Allen Bradley programming cable. Apparently it's made of gold because it's a little pricey

i have not used the ML 1000 but the cable should be the same as the rest of the ML family. Allen Bradley 1761-CBL-PM02, SER C PC to Micrologix cable. Best Regards BCS

Check with GIT: http://www.ind-conce..._PLC_Cables.htm Look halfway down that page on the left for 1761-CBL-PM02 ($19.95). He still has the best price I know of and knows how to source those odd ball little connectors (or one so close that it works about as well). Not to mention that he is a great contributor on this site and plctalk, and has lots of other cool goodies and killer prices. I vaguely remember reading about a guy getting a connector for some old Apple product to work with the Micrologix, but A/B did go to some trouble to make it different than everything else in the world. Just slightly different though, probably since that tends to jack up sales do to folks damaging pins and connectors on devices. How many of you have seen someone try to plug a Micrologix cable into a DH+ port or the other way around? Close, but no cigar. Edited by OkiePC

GM: Hey, Allen-Bradley, the MicroLogix serial port needs to be able to provide 24V DC power to accessories like the NET-AIC, NET-ENI, and Handheld Programmer. A-B: We could do that, but if you plug an ordinary serial cable into the port, it will fry your computer. GM: Put a different connector on it. Oh, and make it locking, but flush with the top of the CPU. A-B: Alright, but we're going to have to make it have the same temperature specs as the controller and it's going to cost 35 bucks. GM: No problem. Hey, have you seen our Congressman ? We seem to have misplaced him somewhere in our pockets.

So what you all are saying is there is no known connector what will work? I'm using a Proface AGP4105-G1-D24 and it has a "9 pin Screw Terminal" RS-232 port on it. So all I need is a male 8 pin DIN (mini?) connector that will plug into the ML 1000 DF1 port and a piece of 8 conductor cable to land on the Proface Terminal. Theoretically anyway. If I have to cut the end off of a cable I guess the one OkiePC posted is the cheapest route to go. Thanks

When we had to access the Micrologix we used this cable from AD, cutting off just the PLC end like you plan.

Or get one of these. http://www.hubbell-premise.com/literature/audiovideo/pdfs/AVC_9-pinST.pdf http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?sku=214281793&sellerid=14387982 http://www.rs232-converters.com/serial_terminal_blocks.htm

These would work if the MicroLogix had a DB9 port. It does not.

I'm one of the guy OkiePC mentionned with old apple cable. This cable is around 7$ and you can build 2 short cable or 1 long. For be able to plug it into the plc you'll have to grind 2 knoch with a dremel and cutting disk. I did a lot of this cable for pc and HMI. I left cable pinout and part # for MAC cable. #Cable mini DIN8.pdf

They will work with the AB cable. That's what I had in mind. Edited by Mickey

I realized what you were getting at after I logged off last night. Would not be cutting a cable this way. Thanks