Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bouws

RSLinx DDE with Office 2010

6 posts in this topic

I use a number of Excel macros with DDE for uploading and downloading tag values to CompactLogix PLCs via RSLinx. When we upgraded to Excel 2010 the DDE stopped working. I talked to my local AB distributor and he confirmed that Excel 2010 doesn't support DDE. I was told I could use OPC but the sample application I was given is hard to follow and I can't figure out how it works. I've also looked at ActiveX and COM controls from Automated Solutions but I was told ActiveX is on its way out too and COM controls require me to write a new app in .NET. I was hoping for a quick and easy solution. Any ideas? What have others done to get around this problem?

Don't know if you have found a solution, but we use Excel 2010 and I opened it up yesterday and put in a couple of DDE links from PLC5 and CompactLogix, and was able to read both. You might try manually updating some of your links to see if that works!

Thanks for your reply. I actually just got a new computer with win7 Office2010 recently and it works for me too. We have 2 others in our shop with the same OS and office version and it doesn't work for them so the search for a solution continues. I think I'll have the other 2 check for updates and see where that takes us.

I figured it out. Google Chrome blocks DDE from working. Close Google Chrome and everything works fine. Noticed the same issue with Solidworks viewer too. Edited by bouws

Interesting. I guess I normally have my browser closed when running DDE links since I haven't run into this issue yet. Hopefully since this has been documented for a while now, they will fix it. I don't like running any other browser, but can get away without one and don't use DDE links all that much any more: Here's a link to the chrome bug report page for this issue: http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=76523

Here's an update on this post with some new information. There is also an issue with the "setpoint.exe" application blocking DDE calls. This application is associated with Logitech pointing devices and keyboards. You can safely uninstall this application and DDE calls will work again. The Logitech devices appear to work fine without the application installed as well. The setpoint.exe file is installed if you install the Logitech drivers from a disk. If you just plug in the mouse or keyboard and let Windows find the drivers the setpoint.exe file will not be installed.