Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
acmilan4eva1899

Please whats the name of these P&ID symbols?

10 posts in this topic

I have three questions: Please can you guys help me with the name of these two valves attached. I know they are valves but what particular type are they? The first i attached is a ball valve but with the line by the side, is it still a ball valve with a particular configuration or something else. The second attached image is a gate valve but what is the significance of the square (not rectangle) on top of it. Lastly can u guys please help me interpret whats happening in the third attached P&ID drawing. Im new to P&ID and having some difficulties understanding the flow.

Hi, welcome to the forum. The first valve is indeed a ball valve, the solid line to the side seems to indicate that it's capped or plugged. The second valve is not necessarily a gate valve, as the symbol indicates a valve in general, the square above it just indicates that it an automatic valve albeit electrical or pneumatically actuated. As for the P&ID drawing, there is not nearly enough information given to be able to interpret whats going on. Steve

Thanks Steve. But let me get you clearly, when u mean the valve (ball) is PLUGGED or CAPPED, do you mean its screwable (not permanently fixed). With respect to the interpretation of the P&ID drawing, i dont know if the attachment of the full drawing will help or do you mean the drawing itself has insufficient information. I have attached the complete drawing In 2 differnt attachments for easier viewing .Hope its large enough to view. Thanks again Steve.

The first one is a flange or other removable connection, for example there may be a removable instrument or a removable hose to the left of the valve. You can see some examples of that if you will look at the P&ID drawing you posted. There are several ball valves that are attached to instrument balloons. This indicates that you can close the valve and isolate, remove, and service the instrument. The first thing you need to do to understand that P&ID is to understand what the instruments are. I posted an ISA tag reference in this post http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=158326&postcount=9 Feel free to use it to help you decipher the instrument tags.

Here is another link for you. http://www.google.co...w.,cf.osb&cad=b Edited by Mickey

Many times, companies compile a symbol legend, this avoids confusion, does the drawing owner have a legend sheet?

Hi All, Could you please interprete the meaning of the "double circled M" in the attached diagram. Have been seeing it in most of my the P&ID drawings im working on but have so far neglected them. Thanks a lot.

these are symbols of valves.. internationally accepted symbols.. here i am giving a chart of standard p&id ymbols.. chart of standard p&id ymbols