Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CanaanP

RedLion ZCH 0500C with 1756-HSC Problems

2 posts in this topic

First project using encoders, and I'm completely lost. I've got a Red Lion ZCH 0500C, which is a quadrature output rotary pulse generator. I thought the wiring for this would be simple, but I am unable to get any kind of signal in the HSC. I have been looking through the 1756-um007_-en-p document, but can't seem to find the answers I need.. The RedLion documentation states that the red wire is +VDC, black is common, white is channel A output, and green is channel B output. Ok, so I wire up red to +24, black to common. I have white hooked to terminal 14 on HSC card, and green hooked to terminal 8. I have my common jumped to terminal 30. I only see the OK lit up on the front of the card, everything else is dark. I think that's a bad sign. I also read in the Red Lion documentation that this is an NPN open collector transistor, with 30V max on high and 1V max on low @ 40mA. Incremental - two square waves in quadrature with channel A leading channel B for clockwise rotation. So, I pulled up document 37072 on the RA knowledge base which refers to pull up resistors. I am using a 24VDC power supply, so it says I need 3124 ohm resistor value. All I could find at the moment was 3.3k ohm resistors. I suppose that this could be part of my problem, but I am unsure of so many factors here that I don't know where to start... Anyway, I wired a resistor in parallel from my +24 to channel A input going to HSC card, and another resistor from +24 to channel B input. Now, in the PLC when I have the card configured as encoder x4 mode, I can only see a 1 or a 2 in the PresentValue tag of that input. As I turn the encoder shaft, the value changes from 1 to 2 and back, that is all. The shaft must be turned quite a bit to effect a change however, more than 3 complete revolutions as far as I can tell. This is the farthest I have gotten, as previously without the resistors there was no change in the PLC tags. It seems to me that the resistors have made an improvement, but obviously something is not right? Can someone please advise me on this issue? In case it matters, I intend to have these encoders measure distance - one will measure distance on a radial travel, which will be in total maybe 150 feet or more. The other will measure distance on the extension of a boom, which will be quite a bit less distance but accuracy to the inch would probably be all that I require.

Figured it out - A return and B return needed to be tied back to common. Working great now.