Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rebuke

Help Printing barcodes with the SLC

6 posts in this topic

I'm modifying a subroutine that sends data from an ST file to a Zebra printer via RS 232. What's frustrating is I know there is a string that controls the Y and Z axis, the height, etc, of the data onto the label but I have no frame of reference as to what ASCII code does what. ST9:3: b10,30,P,360,80,p160,120,17,f1,x3,y12,r90,l5, Does anyone know of a reference manual that details the specifics for ASCII code? I'd rather learn all the potential through a book than Crap-shoot it out every time I need to modify it. Thanks

I do not believe that there is a standard in ASCII for the bar code printer....but hey i could be wrong .... Can you get your hands on the communication refernece manual for the Zebra printer... I had a similar application with a dot matrix ink jet label printer for carboard boxes, and it was a labourious task of find out what did what... in my string the rXX was the character height. Could be the same?

Yes, R is the same for Zebra. For some reason I didn't think about the output device; i thought the plc would control the data. I'll look it up. Thanks!

I haven't used Zebra printers before, but a quick Internet search shows that they have a language all their own, called ZPL (Zebra Printer Language !). Sort of like the common PCL or LaserJet languages that other printers use. Does your model of Zebra printer use ZPL ?

That's correct and ZPL manual is very detailed. However, I didn't bother to read it through. I simply installed the printer to my PC and created label the way customer wanted. Later on I simply captured string with terminal and studied only portion that PLC needed to alter (date code).

They might be a bit old but I don't expect they changed... zebra_EPL_Manuals.zip