Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RickyQ

Connecting to PLC (CJ2) over EIP Wireless

22 posts in this topic

Here's an interesting one for you guys... I short, Cx-programmer does not want to connect using EIP trough the wireless adapter on a laptop, however, connecting with a cable on the same laptop works fine. We got new laptops with windows 7. We have a CJ2 with an ETN (fins) and the PLC's integrated EIP port. If you try to connect wirelessly to the PLC via Fins, it works. Via EIP it does not. However, if you connect the PC to a switch via Cable, everything works fine. I even went as far as to wireshark the packets and very simply if you select EIP as the connecting option, cx-programmer sends all packets trough the Wired NIC not the wireless. I messed with provider order, drivers, metrics to no avail. So far, im pretty convinced cx-programmer has a driver problem with these new wireless adapters we got but i cant prove it. I have tried a million things. nothing works. i installed XP-Pro on the new laptops and the issue is fixed. So far the problem is linked to: Lenovo W520 with Windows 7 pro 64-bit. the wireless adapter is: Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6205 does anybody else have the same issue? We have 3 different brand new laptops and the problem is replicated on all three. Cx-Programmer ver is: 4.03 Edited by RickyQ

I have the same issue. I have no problem with Ethernet UDP Fins but cannot select Ethernet IP and get it to work wirelessly. Wired cable connection works fine. I bet PMCR will have a comment for us.

I have CX-Programmer connected to a CJ2 with EtherNet/IP using a wireless router. I have CX-Programmer v9.33 (CX-Server v5.0). I believe you provided your version number of CX-One. I am also able to connect with Ethernet (UDP) and Ethernet (FINS/TCP). All with no issue. I am using a Dell Latitude E6500, Windows XP Pro 2002 Service Pack 3. I am using a standard Belkin 802.11g wireless router. I cannot see what might be causing the issue from what you have said, sorry. I am guessing that your version of CX-Server is older than the version that I have installed. If you could post your version number of CX-Programmer and CX-Server, perhaps someone could check.

You might also want to check network binding order. This sometimes gives funny results like this.

Mike: Have you tried network settings of Ethernet/IP with Belkin router?

Mike: Have you tried network settings of Ethernet/IP with Belkin router? Jay, I am assuming you are asking if I have tried to connect to the CJ2 using Ethernet/IP with Network Configurator for Ethernet/IP? Or do you mean with just a regular UDP connection? Ethernet/IP is not an option in the interface menu. I was able to connect with the standard UDP Ethernet option (as you can tell in the image above, it is greyed out because I am online with it).

I have no problems with Ethernet UDP or ethernet TCP it only applies to EIP... Also, i forgot to mention the same applies to the EIP network configurator. pretty much anything that uses EIP, Cx-one tries to send via the wired NIC. Im going to try to install CX-One 4.20 today and give it a shot. Some more background info: If you connect your laptop trough wireless and then VPN into a control system the "connect with EIP" works just fine! my theory is that since cx-proggy is looking at the virtual adapter created by the VPN connection it does not have a problem with the connection. Cx-Programmer > Wireless Adapter > CJ2 EIP = NO GOOD Cx-Progammer > VPN Virtual adapter > Wireless Adapter > CJ2 = OK! i also did this with a VM running on VmWare. I installed Windows 7 (on a 32-bit Vm) installed Cx-Proggy and EIP works! Again, i think: Cx-Proggy > VM Virtual Adapter > Host Wireless Adapter > CJ2 EIP = OK! The VM solution is not practicall for us, we have a ton of service guys that use wireless to connect to the PLC's

Ricky, Please see my post way up top (3rd entry). CX-Programmer current versions are in the 9.xx somewhere. I believe that you are providing CX-One version numbers. Could you please provide your CX-Server and CX-Programmer numbers? As you can see from my post up there, I had no trouble connecting with wireless using EtherNet/IP. Thanks, Mike

sorry, i missed that, here you go: Install CX-One Version CX-One Ver.4.20 Install Language English Install Region North America Install Location C:\Program Files (x86)\OMRON\CX-One\ CX-Programmer Ver.9. 3. 3. 1 CX-Simulator Ver.1. 9. 9. 0 SwitchBox Utility Ver.1. 6. 6. 0 CX-Designer Ver.3. 3. 0. 0 NV-Designer Ver.1. 1. 5. 0 CX-Integrator Ver.2. 5. 0. 4 CX-Drive Ver.2.5.2.1 CX-Motion Ver.2.35.0106 CX-Motion Pro Ver.1.3.3.377 CX-Motion-MCH Ver.2. 2. 5. 1 CX-Motion-NCF Ver.1. 9. 3. 1 CX-Position Ver.2. 5. 1. 1 Face Plate Auto-Builder for NS Ver.3. 1. 1. 1 CX-Thermo Ver.4. 3. 0. 0 CX-Protocol Ver.1. 9. 3. 3 CX-Process Tool Ver.5. 2. 4. 1 Network Configurator Ver.3 . 4 . 0. 20 CX-ConfiguratorFDT Ver.1.2.2.2 CX-FLnet Ver.1. 0. 0. 6 CX-One Upgrade Utility Ver.1. 1. 1. 0 CX-Server Ver.5.0.0.21 Common Driver Ver.5.0.0.21 Could this has something to do with my 64-bit OS?

It could be, that seems to be the biggest difference between our configurations.

I can confirm that the problem exists on both 64 and 32 bit versions of Windows 7. I also have the same problem when trying to upload/download with CX-Designer to NS8 HMI's on the same ethernet-IP network. Everything works fine with Laptop using Windows XP and Laptop using Windows Vista 32 bit. Edited by HM_Dava

Mike: Are you using WinXP or Win7 by wireless?

i installed both win-XP and win7-32 bit and EIP works. let's see what Mike has to say i bought a USB wireless adapter, im going to install it and try today. The more i do the more i think this is a Win7 64-BIT issue.

I did not read the original post very well I am afraid. I was using Windows XP when I successfully connected using EtherNet/IP over a wireless link as stated in my first post: I have CX-Programmer connected to a CJ2 with EtherNet/IP using a wireless router. I have CX-Programmer v9.33 (CX-Server v5.0). I believe you provided your version number of CX-One. I am also able to connect with Ethernet (UDP) and Ethernet (FINS/TCP). All with no issue. I am using a Dell Latitude E6500, Windows XP Pro 2002 Service Pack 3. I am using a standard Belkin 802.11g wireless router.

Thanks for clarifying Mike, yes the problem is NOT on WinXP. we have been using EIP wirelessly on WinXP for along time without an issue. The problem is on WINDOWS 7 64-BIT. i was hoping Jay Anthony or PMCR would have a "click here and presto" answer :( Has anybody else called Omron about this?

Not that it helps you right now, but I sent it up the chain of command yesterday. I copied the link to this thread and sent it to our Marketing guy in charge of software.

I can confirm that the problem affects both 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows 7 The problem affects wireless conection only. Edited by HM_Dava

Whew! I thought It was just me!

Weird. One of my guys has the same issue on Win 7 Pro 32 Bit. Is Omron working on this?

do you have anybody running 64-bit? thanks for reviving the topic nicholas, does anyone have any news?

I've recently updated Cx-Programmer to V9.35 and it now works using Wireless and Ethernet/IP protocol on Windows 7 64 bit

Yes! i did my updates and the "issue" has been resolved! :D