Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Phil Izak

Lockout/Tagout

3 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, After coming close to a serious shock a couple weeks ago, myself and my boss have decided that it we need some more intensive lockout/tagout training/implementation in our plant. We have typically been able to trust our workers when working on the machines, that is until a couple weeks ago. My question is, does anyone recommend a good lockout/tagout training and implementation course that we can look into attending so that I can begin to implement this in our two facilities? Thank you, Phil Izak

Try OSEA. They have pretty good training and personnel. All of the construction trades in my area use them for LO/TO and many other safety oriented training. If they are not available sometimes a local safety equipment supplier may have someone who can train, or the local electrical union hall may have a certified trainer as well.

While it can be hard to read and does not establish a program for you, OHSA's regulations on the control of hazardous energy can be found be found here. 29 CFR 1910.147 and 29 CFR 1910.147 App A In Kansas, there is a partnership with OSHA where a separate state run branch exists to assist with compliance that is totally separate from enforcement. You can use them to help review and help with ways to be compliant while information shared and discussed is not shared with the enforcement side. This gives you access to help in trying to be self compliant. The service is a bit underused because people do not trust that issues brought up in the compliance help are kept confidential from the enforcement branch. I've used it and it was helpful. Your state may have something similar that might be able to guide you to approved training courses. I am glad no one got hurt in your incident. Remember also that lock out/tag out is more than just electrical energy, it is also any other source of releasable energy. This could be such things as steam, if say it is used to purge a confined space, then the steam line has to be turned off and locked out. If there is a spring loaded piece of equipment, the equipment has to be taken to the point of least energy and locked out. Gas lines and water lines are also other items that may need to be locked out. I would not want you to have to deal with OSHA, they are no fun. A company I worked for once got cited because we did have have the respirator appendix D information in our safety manual (All the original complaints were dismissed but once OSHA is out, they have to find something). The appendix had 4 common sense parts like read and follow the instructions of the respirator, do not use the respirator for things it was not designed for, do not use someone else's respirator, and use the respirator for what it was intended for. For this, we got a serious level violation (which we negotiated down) but with a serious violation, a second serious violation in a like a 3 year period could lead to some serious fines. So think what the death or injury of an employee can do. Hope this helps. Z