Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Timo_H

Tag passing in FTView ME 5.1 with global objects

7 posts in this topic

I have a global object that I need to use multiple times. The object has three global object parameter definitions (#1-3) and a GoTo Display button that should pass the first tag (#1) to the new display. The GoTo Display button has in the parameterlist written "{#1}" as the manual describes for parameter passing. I have defined the global object parameter definitions in the display section for each reference object, but when testing the application it cannot find a value for the {#1} to pass. It does find the name for the object, that it searches from the PLC tags with the #1 though. The FTView says it cannot find a parameter file for the #1, but currently I'm not using any parameter files. Can't I use the parameter passing for global object parameters? I have tried to insert a direct tag to the {#1} and it works, but I'd rather use the passing since this way I won't need to duplicate the base object for each reference object.

There are some intricacies inside the parameter passing concepts, I'll try to explain... Assumptions: 1. you've manually entered the Global Object Parameters Values inside each instance of your global object 2. the Goto Display button isn't grouped with the Global Object When you write {#1} inside Goto Display button's properties (as Parameter list's item) FactoryTalk View assumes you want to pass to the display to be opened the Display's Parameter value #1, NOT the Global Object Parameter value #1 !, so that the result is an error, as there isn't a parameter tag to pass. The fact is that Global Object Parameter's value CANNOT be passed through as a "normal" parameter value. Parameters and Global Object Parameters are different beasts... Consider that if you have multiple instances of the same Global Object on the same display, there are many Global Object Parameter's values named #1, so how can the Goto Display object know which is the right one to pass through ?! The way to have the Global Object Parameter's value pass through displays is to have the Goto Display button grouped as part of the Global Object's items. Assigning your Global Object Parameter's value #1 to that instance of the Global Object, will also "link" that value to the Goto Display button's Parameter List item #1 . Hope it is quite clear... - fuzzy logic Edited by fuzzy logic

I'm sorry if I was unclear on that part. By the direct linking I meant that I duplicated the base object and I edited that base objects GoTo Displaybutton to have the direct link instead of the {#1}. The GoTo display button IS part of the global object. The global object has under the group some texts, more groups, polygons and the GoTo display. The objects have been provided to me and I would assume it has been tested, yet for me it isn't working as it should. Are there any extra "tricks" behind the parameter passing that I could try? Pic from the global object window object explorer. Edited by Timo_H

Timo, I think at this point it is difficult to continue the discussion without the possibility to see your application... May you post the *.apa file (or just the part involved in the question) so that users here can open it and try to better understand your issue ? - fuzzy logic

So the problem is as mysterious as I though it was. One thing I forgot to mention is that the tag in question is a PLC path(struct), if that makes any difference. And to properly test it here you'd need those files too. I don't think it would be OK for me to post the files here. I guess I'll have to keep looking and maybe test it on a different computer. You never know.

Timo, maybe the "problem" isn't a problem but just something wrongly configured, or just not used as it is expected to be. Difficulty here is to try to imagine all what you did and set, without the possibility to view the project. Consider that it is not necessary to have all the system available to test your issue; why don't you create just a new project, the Global Object and a couple of displays that uses it as you need, so that it is possible to try to replicate using memory tags, or just to *see* the Global Object definitions and all the discussed configurations... Up to you... - fuzzy logic

Can we connect two faceplates with one global object.i have analog cal. Block and aical alarm block which gives alarm  now i have one global object which connects to aical block.and opens a faceplate.i want to have button on this faceplate which should take me to alarm faceplate. In global object paramter defination i have used #1 for aical block.

And #2 for alarm block .in run time when i click on refernce object it opens the faceplate and shows data from aical block. When i click on alarm button .it takes me to alarm faceplate but doesnt show tag value from alarm block.can anybody help?