Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gleblanc

Dual output power supply

7 posts in this topic

I'm sure that I've done this search before, but I can't find it this morning. I work in an automotive plant, so we have lots of pieces here that need to be tested with 12V power, which would normally be supplied by the vehicle electrical system. I can find a few things like relays and such that will operate on 24V, but generally they're not suitable for building decent panels. They're more designed for use in automobiles and the like. So, what I really need is a power supply that will output both 24V for all of the control circuits, PLCs, relay coils, and the like, and a 12V output for the parts that actually power vehicle components. I could get a standard 24V supply, and then add on a DC-DC converter like PSP12-DC24-2 from Rhino, but I would much prefer a single unit. Anybody have suggestions, or alternatives I might have missed? Greg

Try this: http://www.emersonindustrial.com/en-US/documentcenter/EGSElectricalGroup/products_documents/control_power_solutions/power_supplies/sl_single_multi_output_linears/SL-Single-Multi-Output-Linears.pdf You should be able to bridge the +12 and -12 for your 24v and center tap one side to get your 12v. Same theory as the 120/240 you have at home.....

What kinds of loads do you have, and must it be DIN mount? Unless you're looking at very small loads, I would probably just buy separate 24V and 12V DIN mount power supplies sized to the load. Sola makes some bigger power supplies with multiple outputs. SHP or GL series. I don't think they are DIN mount, but there might be a kit available. Another option if your 12V requirement is very low. Use a 24V power supply and a simple voltage divider to give you 12V.

Don't -need- DIN mount, but it looks nicer. The 12V load is < 3A (just a heater on this project), 24V load is probably even smaller, generally just enough to energize some relay coils, and maybe small PLC (though this project is a tester, not a poka-yoke, so no need for the PLC). If the 12V load were smaller, I'd just wire in a 7812 regulator and call it good. Alas, I haven't got a 3-pin regulator in my box that will generate 24V from 12V. Greg

The Sola SDP series has two units that can adjust to 12VDC output, one at 2.5A, the other at 4.2A. The series has even more options in 24VDC. I've never priced the 12V ones, but I have recent quotes from my distributor that include some of the 24V ones. Around $115 for a 2.1A, around $90 for a 1.2A. Only take 1.77" of DIN rail space. I've attached the catalog pages. I'd think you'd have trouble finding a dual output power supply that meets your needs for less than $200, unless you go with something open-frame. There may be other power supply brands that have similar products, I'm just most familiar with Sola. SDP-Low-Power-DIN-Rail.pdf

We use Sola unless otherwise spec'd by the customer. Never have any problems with reliability or lead time issues or anything with them so far.

Why do you want to make it difficult for the end user, please use two separate power supplies.