Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Andy_P

CJ2M Ethernet/IP

13 posts in this topic

Is it possible to configure the Ethernet port on a CJ2M-CPU31 to use regular TCP or UDP comms? (Socket services?) In other words, suppose a device transmits a stream of bytes using UDP, can the PLC be configured to receive them? Ethernet is not exactly a strong point of mine, and I'm getting a bit lost in the docs / terminology. Any help appreciated. Even a straight "yes" or "no" is fine.

dang it, I feared that was the case. Ethernet/IP or FINS protocol is the only way to use the port then? How would you interface with a third party device that did not support these? Not possible?

Socket services is kind of like protocol macro for ethernet. It is used for receiving messages that are not of a standard Omron protocol. So, socket services is exactly what you are looking for.

I agree. But it appears to be not possible. Have to say, this makes the ethernet port pretty restricted IMO. Edited by Andy_P

Hi, yes, a good point of ETN21 was, it was possible to configure over the Ethernet itself with a browser. With EIP you need to send a FINS or CIP message to the EIP-module itself. It is difficult but not impossible to create such a message with socket service.

I guess that I should have read the string a little bit better. I did not realize that you were talking about an EIP unit / CPU. You are correct, it does not support socket services.

Hi Harald, thank you for your reply. So, I assume that you mean use socket service on the third party to construct an EIP compatible message that is transmitted to the PLC. Is that right? Do you have any examples you could point to? I'm having a hard time deciding exactly what format an "EIP message" should be in. For an "open" standard, it's pretty obscure to say the least! Apologies for being so dense, bit out of my depth right now with this.

Sorry, I also misunderstood the original question. I cannot help you with EIP compatible messages. I am only familiar with FINS messages, Multiway and the manual W342 could help you. http://support-omron.fr/MultiwayE.php

No problem Harald, thanks anyway.

Why not just add an ETN21 & use that for what you are trying to do?

Cost. The CJ1W-ETN21 is way, WAY too expensive.

Is there a reason you are using a CPU with E/IP? Is your time cheaper than the cost of a ETN21?