Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Patrickc

FactoryTalk View Client on Dual Monitors

8 posts in this topic

Any one know how i can get FT view Client to work on a dual screen? I have FT view Client V6.00.00 Thank you!
1 person likes this

There looks to be a good deal of information about this topic here: http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34321.

Could you please copy and paste the information on that link since I don't have access to it! Thank you for your reply, Patrick

Quite a bit to copy in, but we'll see if it comes through: Application Scenarios: There are generally 3 application scenarios for using multiple monitors with the RSView SE Client: 1) The "SE Multiple Client": This scenario is ideal for HMI "power operators" (and experienced Windows users) who need to see multiple HMI displays simultaneously. It is accomplished by simply running multiple sessions of the RSView SE client and placing them on separate monitors. Typically, the operator would have a shortcut to a pre-configured RSView SE Client on the desktop of the primary monitor. The operator would launch the first session of the client and simply relocate it to a secondary monitor. Next, the operator would return to the primary monitor and launch an additional session of the RSView SE Client that would remain on the primary monitor (or be placed on a different secondary monitor, etc.). This is the recommend scenario for most customers due to the relative ease of implementation. Advantages: no custom HMI project coding is required, allowing a mixture of both single and multiple display SE Clients (with a variety of resolutions) throughout the system no additional SE Client activations are required at the client computer these are 3 autonomous sessions of the SE client. If you are not using FactoryTalk Security's single sign-on feature, you could logon to both sessions as the same user, or logon to session #1 as user "X" and session #2 as user "Y", etc. Disadvantages additional hardware resources are required at the client computer requires that the HMI operator have knowledge of managing multiple applications in Windows requires that the SE Client file (.cli) be configured to "Show title bar", "Show system menu and close button" and "Show Min/Max buttons" so that you can drag and drop the program to another monitor records in the Diagnostics List (if displayed) are not unique to the individual client session (they are common for the client computer) allows the HMI operator to get to the Windows desktop, Start Menu, Command Prompt, etc. (Note: this can be mitigated using Group Policy to "lock down" the desktop environment) 2) The "SE Custom Client": This scenario is ideal for HMI "power operators" (but inexperienced Windows users) who need to see multiple HMI displays simultaneously. It uses only 1 session of the SE Client, however it expands that session across the larger "virtual desktop" created by adding additional monitors. For example, consider an SE application with 2 areas ('East' and 'West') where every operator station has 2 monitors (1 for the 'East' displays and 1 for the 'West' displays). In this example, the HMI developer would use X,Y coordinates to configure all of the 'East' displays for one monitor and all of the 'West' displays for the other monitor. Advantages: no additional hardware resources are required at the client computer no additional SE Client activations are required at the client computer. requires no HMI operator knowledge of managing multiple applications in Windows because typically only the SE Client is running allows you to "lock down" the desktop environment and allow the HMI operator to only use the RSView SE client Disadvantages all SE Clients in the system may require the same multiple monitor configuration (i.e., orientation and resolution) or else the SE graphic displays may not display properly requires HMI project custom coding to control the position of the displays making the project potentially more difficult to troubleshoot and maintain Implementation of this scenario requires VBA programming that increases the size of the SE Client "container" window (see Answer ID 24607 - Controlling the size of the client container window). For example, when using 2 monitors side-by-side (where both are configured for a resolution of 1024 x 768), you would typically create a client container window of 2054 x 774 (the additional 6 pixels allow for a 6 pixel frame around the container). This container would then allow two ~1024 x ~768 displays to exist side-by-side inside 1 session of the SE client. Note: To familiarize yourself with the 'SE Client Container' settings on your multiple monitor system from within RSView SE, unzip the attached Multiple Monitor Code Sample.Zip and follow the instructions in the ReadMe.txt file. When using this scenario, the following RSView SE Display Settings are typically recommended: Display Type 'On Top' (vs. 'Overlay' or 'Replace'). 'Size to Main Window in Runtime' unchecked (if checked, the display will occupy the complete SE Client container) Click the Help button (or F1) in the Display Settings dialog for more information on these settings. It should be noted that using the 'On Top' display setting may lead to many unnecessary displays being left open that will consume system resources and also maintain many data connections to the processors both of which may affect your application performance. Your application must make use of the abort command to efficiently manage the open displays. When using this scenario, the following RSView SE Client (.cli) settings are typically recommended: Show Title Bar unchecked (if checked, the Title Bar will extend across the virtual desktop) Maximize window unchecked (if checked, the display will only occupy 1 monitor) Show Diagnostics List unchecked (if checked, the Diagnostics List will extend across the virtual desktop, but it can be undocked) Click the Help button (or F1) in the RSView SE Client wizard for more information on these settings. A slightly more complex version of this scenario would allow the operator to choose which monitor a graphic will be displayed on. For example, a "Navigation Menu" graphic that contains buttons that represent the available monitors (e.g., "left", "center" and "right") in addition to the available graphic displays. The HMI operator must click the desired graphic display and the desired monitor. This technique uses the native RSView SE display command with display positioning parameters. 3) The "SE Virtual Display Client": This scenario creates 1 large "virtual display" runtime window spread across multiple monitors, where each video adapter's display area is part of a single desktop. The size of the desktop is determined by the size and the arrangement of individual display areas, which in reality reflects the arrangement of the monitors. Using this scenario is virtually identical to the "SE Custom Client", except the SE Client container size would typically be much larger and the displays would typically all have the setting 'Size to Main Window in Runtime' checked. Advantages: same as the SE Custom Client provides a very large "virtual monitor" for a central control room or command center Disadvantages the loss of single monitor detracts from the large "virtual monitor" Note: To familiarize yourself with the 'SE Client Container' settings on your multiple monitor system from within RSView SE, unzip the attached Multiple Monitor Code Sample.Zip and follow the instructions in the ReadMe.txt file. A 4th application scenario is also possible, the "Super Client" or "Engineering Workstation". This scenario is identical to the "SE Multiple Client" except it is typically used by HMI/PLC developers and maintenance engineers. It allows the user to run multiple software programs simultaneously (e.g., Studio, RSLogix, the SE Client), where each program occupies its own monitor. Using this scenario is very straightforward, you simply launch the programs and relocate them on their own individual monitor. Note: A maximized program will not relocate from one monitor to the next, you must 'Restore Down' the program to relocate it (using drag & drop) on another monitor.

Thank you for that i think i resolved my problem, I ran FT view Client Edition twice, I should be able to drag one of them on the other display. Thanks again, Patrick Edit: Actually, my client wasn't happy with that solution. Also the information you gave me was for RS view, which is the older alternative to Factorytalk view if i'm correct? I'm still open for suggestions and help! Thank you Edited by Patrickc

RSViewSE and FactoryTalk View SE are essentially the same product at different versions. I can't recall the timeline, but maybe around 5 years ago Rockwell changed most of their "RS" naming to "FactoryTalk." Another example would be RSBatch = FactoryTalk Batch. So the concepts in the knowbase article below extend to your version as well, Rockwell simply hasn't updated it in a while. The second option is the most robust, and what I would recommend. Of course, it also requires the most administration on your end. A subset of this option would be to programatically extend the client frame, then allow your users to move the windows around on their own, as opposed to 'hard coding' their location in the display properties. I attached the referenced ZIP here in case it helps. Multiple Monitor Code Sample.zip
1 person likes this

On 19/8/2011 at 6:36 AM, PMersault said:

RSViewSE and FactoryTalk View SE are essentially the same product at different versions. I can't recall the timeline, but maybe around 5 years ago Rockwell changed most of their "RS" naming to "FactoryTalk." Another example would be RSBatch = FactoryTalk Batch. So the concepts in the knowbase article below extend to your version as well, Rockwell simply hasn't updated it in a while. The second option is the most robust, and what I would recommend. Of course, it also requires the most administration on your end. A subset of this option would be to programatically extend the client frame, then allow your users to move the windows around on their own, as opposed to 'hard coding' their location in the display properties. I attached the referenced ZIP here in case it helps. Multiple Monitor Code Sample.zip

Hi, where Can I download the attachement?

thankyou.