Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scada Tom

TVSS FOR CAT 6 AND 120V

3 posts in this topic

Need a recommendation for TVSS (SPD), DIN rail mounted, for Cat 6 network cable, 24VDC discreet (input to a PLC) and 120V AC. This is for a control cabinet located 100 ft away, outside, next to a large water reservoir that is 40 ft high.

I've had good luck with Phoenix PlugTrab TVSS's for the 120VAC (both for mains and for I/O) and the 24VDC I/O. They consist of a DIN rail moutned wiring chassis and a plug-in module with all the "guts". Each unit is approximately 1" wide by 3" or 4" tall. Options are available with status contacts for remote monitoring. Sorry, I don't have any part numbers available to me at the moment. I beileve they make models for the Cat 6, but I've not had any experience with them. I think that if I were in your shoes, I would consider a media converter to fiber for the CAT6 (I'm assuming it's for Ethernet) and avoid the TVSS altogether.

I had forgotten about the extensive Phoenix TVSS line, as I mostly use AB terminal blocks. Your suggestion about using fiber is good and I will use fiber. What I didn't mention is there is only one conduit, the data and power will be in the same conduit - its legal as I will use a PVC jacketed MC cable. But running Cat 6 along side power for some distance, is not a good way to do this. MM fiber is very inexpensive and the media convertors are not that much either.