Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
don

Productivity Series Pros/Cons

2 posts in this topic

I have a customer with no installed PLC base and am thinking about using the Productivity line from AD and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations. The application is not very demanding - about 16 analog inputs, 32 discrete inputs, 32 discrete outputs. These requirements could grow in the future. The logic is very simple - mostly discrete pump and fan motor controls and alarming of analog instruments. It is a remote location, so reliability (not redundancy) is a concern. It does need to interface to a HMI package running on a local PC - something like Intellution or Wonderware. Also, there will probably be a requirement to communicate with Modbus devices over RS485 or Ethernet. True on-line programming is a definite requirement. About 85% of my experience is A-B (now, primarily ControlLogix), but I've worked on Mitsubishi, Modicon, Siemens, Sq-D, etc. My concern is recommending an unknown (to me) product to a customer, but the pricing seems really attractive. I would appreciate any comments. Thanks in advance.

I haven't used this line yet but the software seems to be a vast improvement over Directsoft. The biggest concern I would have with installing this in a plant with no PLC base is you'll be the sole supporter of it since not many other integrators are familiar with them yet. It will definitely be a trial by fire.