Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rswolff

Scanners

6 posts in this topic

anyone have any experience with barcode scanners for cartons on a conveyor? application is scanner mounted above conveyor. maximum cartons is 50/min but because of size differences practical throughput is probably no more than 30-35. Conveyor width is only 18" and cartons are only one(1) across. customer currently using Accusort I believe. Looking into a possibly alternative. Any information greatly appreciated thanks, bob

I have used Microscan in the past without any problems. Have a look at the MS3, nice and compact.

What ever scanner you pick. I recommend a "RASTER" scanner for conveyor applications. I seem to have better luck with them getting a good read on the bar code. You can get cheaper scanners that just send out a single laser line and some sales guy will tell you that if the box is moving the single line laser will pick it up. With raster laser, it does much better either box moving or stopped.

I second Chris. RASTER broadcast an array of beams. I personally like vision systems. Because if the code is smudged or broken you still have a chance at getting a read. Cognex has some nice systems That can do that scan rate noproblem. Are the packages the same size? If the height changes to much you may be looking at multiple sensors.

I'll Third Raster Scanning in this application. Almost as important as package rate in pks/min is speed the package is moving in fpm. I worked one place where we used a Sick Scanner Array to catch bar codes on moving parcels at 450 fpm. It was a rather costly setup as we were looking 360 degrees around the parcel because with Human Loaders we couldn't guarantee orientation. But Sick definitely has some Raster Scanners to be considered for this app.

I have just run some tests with the new Cognex 500 series barcode readers: http://www.cognex.com/ProductsServices/IDProducts/default.aspx?id=8493&utm_campaign=E1893&utm_medium=web&utm_source=cognexweb We are only reading 1d barcodes but it does it very well. I feel your Accusort pain, we have many Accusort systems and they have been pretty bad with being able to supply their scanners so we've been looking into other options. These have been the best camera readers I've found for the money. Comparable to Accusort laser scanners in price with the added benefits of the camera system (labels don't need to be straight, print doesn't need to be perfect, etc....). I would recommend having a Cognex rep come in and give you a demonstration.