Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CanaanP

Panelview plus security

4 posts in this topic

I have a simple project with a panelview plus 1000. I am working with FTVS ME and have three displays. The main display is for the operator to do daily tasks, however the settings display and calibrate display are for supervisor only. I was wondering if there is a way to popup login fields when a user attempts to go to a restricted display? I have never worked with security on these before, and I know very little about it. At this point, I cannot even seem to get a regular login working. I have created an "admin" user, and gave it all security codes. I removed all codes from ananymous except for A. I changed main display to A, and restricted displays to B. I then put a login button on the main display. When attempting to login with admin credentials, a message is shown that says "login of user 'admin' failed, insufficient access rights". Can someone please tell me what I'm missing here? As for the initial thought of automatically popping up a login window when user attempts to go to a restricted display - I would love to be able to do that, but if its required that a user login first, then try to access a display, then so be it... Thanks in advance for any help.

I cant think of any way to have the system popup a login prompt when your user tries to go to a secured page. Your current login problem sounds like what a user sees when they enter an incorrect login. make sure you setup not just your accounts in the runtime security, but your user credentials in the users and groups folder. I'm not sure you can add a runtime security account without also adding the user so you probably had to do that. try changing your admin password to something simple and seeing if you possibly miskeyed the original password.

Thank you, I'm not sure what I did... other than go home and get some sleep - but I this morning I removed the admin user from runtime security and in the user groups. I recreated it, exactly the same as I remember doing it yesterday, tested and it worked. That's disturbing to me, but I'm going to just run with it for now :)

Nothing like a little time away to make things work.