Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Novice_user

analog/discrete inputs and outputs?

9 posts in this topic

First of all I must say that I'm pretty new to PLC's. But I really do want to learn all that I can about them. So saying that, here's my task. My equipment is as follows: A Micrologix 1400, a PanelView C600, and a Chromalox 2104 TC., and a thermocouple. Now, my mission is to monitor the temperature and gas levels inside a containment locker and be able to input the temperature and gas level setpoints from the PanelView HMI. I must also be able to monitor a fire suppression system and initiate an audible alarm (a discrete output to be sent to the customers computer) if it should happen to go off. Not to mention that the heating unit inside this container must shutdown whenever the door opens, and that whenever the vents are open, the time and duration of this event must be recorded. I'm not sure at all how to begin. Can someone please help me? Edited by Novice_user

I suggest that you call a near by integrator and hire them to do this for you. Maybe they will let you watch and learn. Else. Collect all of the manuals and installation instructions for each component, read them and follow their recommendations. Come back here with specific questions if you run into problems that you do not understand.

What's your location?

Make a flow chart first. organize your thoughts. Have branching logic. If yes then x, if no then y etc...

I would begin by returning that Panelview C600 and either getting a Panelview Plus or a touch screen from another manufacturer like Automation Direct or Red Lion. The Panelview Component series has got to be one of the most poorly executed product launches in AB's history. The ONLY things they have going for them is the inclusion of Ethernet at the sub-$500 level, and the ability to edit the HMI program online. But the thing is, if you're using a $500 touch screen, chances are you don't really need ethernet and a serial connection to the PLC will work just fine. The bottom line is that you do not want your first experience with HMI programming to be with the PVc series. You will spend far more time and money banging your head against the wall in frustration. There are far better (and cheaper!) products on the market. Personally, I only use the PVc series if the customer insists.

What's a 'containment locker'? What is 'gas level' and its associated setpoint? Liquid seeks its own level but I'm not sure what 'gas level' is.

I have to laugh when 2 year old threads get dug up... all i can picture is the poor sod still trying to sort the problem out rocking in the corner.. and then alas the thread is resurrected again and he has a glimmer of hope of completing his project...
1 person likes this

You mean that's not the normal way to work on a project? Huh. All this time... ;)

I prefer a lawn chair, myself.