Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
defautt

Rung comments and descriptions

5 posts in this topic

I have read in this forum that the rung comments and descriptions are stored in the .rss file and not on the plc, and I get that. I have also read a non-descript statment that it is possible to get the rung comments to show on the plc save copy of the program. I would like to know how to do that if you guys could be so kind as to let me know how. I have an AB SLC 5/04, and I am able to connect to the plc through RSLogix500 via RSLinx and the appropriate cables. Also, I have a copy of the program saved on my PC with the Rung comments and descriptions. I have tried opening the connection to the plc through RSLinx, then opened the program with the comments. I tried downloading from that point, but I just get a node error. If I open the plc program, (go online) i do not get an error, but cannot seem to figure out how to change from one program to another. Any help would be much appreciated.

1. Open the commented version of the program which is on your PC. Note its location if it's not in a default place. 2. Go online with the running PLC program. If its current checksum doesn't precisely match that of your loaded offline program it will tell you but don't panic. 3. In the provided window navigate to the folder where your offline program resides. RSLogix will list the name of the files which have the same processor name as the running PLC program. Select your offline file. 4. Select "Upload Use File". This will bring the logic and data tables from the running PLC and merge them with the comments and descriptions in your offline file. 5. Examine the result. If its ok you can save it, perhaps with a new name. But you can then work online with the commented file and be sure to have a current backup. Note that it only takes a very minor change to the offline file to make it not match precisely the running program. Just make a good backup first. You should be ok. If you only make online changes with the offline program loaded in this manner then resave you should not get the 'does not match' window. Edited by b_carlton

An other way but takes a little longer is to open the off line file and go to "TOOLS" ---> "DATABASE" ---> "ACCII EXPORT ---> and save to a known location when closing check yes to save changes to program. Then go online with processor "COMMS" ----->"WHO ACTIVE GO ONLINE" ---->navigate to the processor and click on it click "OK" in the upper right of the communications box---> select "CREATE NEW FILE"---> Then go to "TOOLS" ---> "DATABASE" ---> "ACCII INPORT --->click "OK"--->navigate to the *.EAS file you created in the first step --->click "OPEN"---> continue by navigate to the *.EIC file you created in the first step --->click "OPEN"--->continue by navigate to the *.ERP file you created in the first step --->click "OPEN"---> continue by navigate to the *.ESG file you created in the first step --->click "OPEN"---> continue by navigate to the *.nam file you created in the first step --->click "OPEN"---> click "OK" ---> then go to "FILE" ---> SAVE AS" ---> put the name you want in the box and click "SAVE" ----> click "YES" It will up load program again with current values and you are done. this is done while still on line.

Thanks for the information. I had a slight issue at first because I had both the commented version and uncommented version saved in the same folder on my PC. When I would go online, it was not giving me the option to choose which file I wanted to use, but automatically selecting the file with the same name as the file on the PLC. Once I renamed and moved the uncommented version, b_carlton's directions worked like a charm. Again, thanks for the help.

That is a common problem. If it finds an exact match in your project files search path, then you will not get an option to select the file. I always keep my programs in subdirectories within my search path, so I always get the choice. One more point If any rungs have been added or deleted in the online program, then the rung comments that are attached to rung positions will not line up. There is a utility under the menu (Tools -> Database -> Adjust Rung Offset) to modify the rung comment alignment. If there are a lot of changes, it can be quite difficult to get all the comments to line up correctly. Edited by The Fat Controller