Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JeffKiper

wire duct cutters

13 posts in this topic

In another thread DIN rail cutters where discussed. I am wondering how you all cut your wire duct? I use a hacksaw and cut it about an 1/8" long and trim it with a razor knife. I just don't have any good idea for making a square cut without trimming the cover to make it fit nice. So how do you-all make them look good?

Hello, I use the bandsaw. I cut the pieces a little on the strong side and sand smooth with a belt sander. Not perfect, but works well enough, is quick, and is done with tools I already have. plcdp

Take your pick. http://www.google.com/#q=wire+duct+cutters&hl=en&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&ei=Ke6yTZXyCOfWiAKw6OmvBg&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=image&resnum=3&sqi=2&ved=0CE4QzAMwAg&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=bcec928b6585c3a

I use LEGRAND duct. snap it where you like and use a special nibble tool to cut the side strengtheners... However for the duct lid - Hacksaw, then tidy up with knife

Looks like I will be tooling up again. I am going to get some stainless knockouts if I get a few more if these stainless panels. So why not just buy a cutter. Thanks guys I didn't realize they are that inexpensive.

Nice find Mickey, thank you

We use a handheld scissor type cutter (like was linking in that google search) for the duct, and a chop saw for the cover.

Our shop uses the third one down in Mickey's link for ducting and we also have a DIN rail cutter.

http://www.amazon.co...66&sr=8-1-spell Its what I use for both din rail and for duct. Edited by Alaric

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B0009H588S This is what i use for the Duct, Duct cover, and the Din rail, You have to be careful if you try to just trim a small piece off, it can get caught up in the shoe. Jason

I also use a circular saw (Bosch) for duct, duct cover, and DIN rail. It has a laser guide and can also cut at different angles, cutting the duct cover at 45degrees makes for very neat looking ductwork

On 4/25/2011 at 5:44 AM, Sleepy Wombat said:

I use LEGRAND duct. snap it where you like and use a special nibble tool to cut the side strengtheners... However for the duct lid - Hacksaw, then tidy up with knife

I also use these...

I use a 14" Chop saw from harbor Freight for the duct, cover, and din rail.

I debur the din rail with a 6" bench grinder.