Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Phil Kennedy

Laptop setup and VMWARE advice?

8 posts in this topic

Hi, Recently I have had some issues with my laptop which has meant I have (or am in the process of) wiping my laptop and reinstalling all of my software. This is a long and laborious task as I like to have a separate partitions for each type of software I use (S7, AB, Visiomotion, Protool) which involves 4 partitions but each with relevant drivers, msoffice etc. I was recently told about VMware and think this might make things easier. Am I right in thinking that I could in theory setup my laptop with just the basics installed (MSoffice, XP vista or W7, itunes etc etc etc) then using VMware, have files containing; XP, S7 & WINCC XP, RSlogix 5000, Panel builder, Factory talk Win98, Protool Pro (I think) XP. Visualmotion. Am I also right in thinking that once created, these files can be backed up, so should I have issues in the future it will be very quick for me to wipe and start again, as I would simply need to install the Vmware software then copy the files back? Any help / recomendations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Remember that you will need a license for each OS that you use inside of VMware. I suggest that you get an application to backup images of each VMware build, i.e. Acronis. Windows 7 Pro, does this with Windows XP Virtual, without an additional license needed. Edited by RussB

Ouch! so if I had 7 virtual machines I would need 7 licenses, even though it was all on the same laptop? You mention windows 7 pro and windows xp virtual. This implies that it does it for you without the need for Vmware? is this correct?

I do not believe this is correct. You would need at least 2 licenses. You must have a license for the copy of Windows that you are running on the PC. You must also have a license for each copy of windows that you want to run simultaneously. So, if you will only ever boot one of those machines at once, you would only need one additional license. From the sounds of it, you will need at least 2; one license for XP, and another license for 98. I'm not sure how much hassle you will have with registering the several copies of XP with Microsoft in close succession. It -might- not be a problem, since the hardware VMWare presents is very similar. But you might still end up jumping through some hoops and making phone calls to their automated system. As always, IANAL, nor do I play one on TV. Greg

If you work for a large company with a strict software policy, if there is the potential, or capability to run more than one OS at the same time, your legal department, and Microsoft's will tell you that you need a separate license for each. You may be able to get around this by keeping your images on an external HDD and load just the ones that you are using. But again this is subjective and open to interpretation, you will need to decide. On the Windows 7 Pro thing, I like it because it is quick, easy and has support from Microsoft. I have several images on my laptop and more on the external HDD, of course they are all XP. Do an internet search and you will find many variants and other virtual OS wrappers, including Linux system with DOS and Windows running in virtual mode. Have fun. :)

I think Greg is correct in that you only need a license for each o.s. You don't have to have a separate XP license for each image you create if they are all for your use on one PC. I have a series of posts on my blog where I discussed the advantages of virtualization software with Rockwell products. You can find it here if you are interested: Windows 7 or XP or 98 or whatever with Automation Software Good Luck Doug Edited by DougBrock

Thanks for all the info guys. Managed to get a 30day trial with VMware and have realised the player is also free, so I know the answer to this question but want to ask anyway - We could buy VM workstation and use it to set up the Virtual Machines on a master computer. VMplayer could then be used on all of our machines to play each of these files, is this correct? I know the licensing would be an issue but that will be sorted if it works Thanks

if you need to just create virtual machines Player would be more than adequate, and free. Workstation will be used if you need to manage some aspects of virtual machines, such as snapshotting, cloning, rights management and teams deployment. For a single user with different environments available in his computer this is not normally a concern. By experience, unless the system installed in your VM requests the use of special hardware, there should be no problem at all. Originally Workstation and Player worked as you outlined in your post, when I bought the license few years ago. Nowadays I almost never use workstation and do all the work with Player. Just for information, how is your situation now?