Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Conor

Serial splitter

9 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I have a MicroLogix 1200 that has a PanelView 500 connected to the serial port. I want to get some signals back to my Scada from this PLC and am going to use a NET ENI. I will need to use a serial splitter, to split the serial signal coming out of the PLC to the PanelView and to the NEt ENI, but which one should I use? I have got two part numbers, 1747-DPS1 and 1747-DPS2. Can anyone tell me if it makes a difference which one I use? Thanks Conor

My read is that the 1747-DPS1 would do the job. See link below for more detail on the differences. http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pp/1747-pp019_-en-p.pdf

It's possible neither one will work for this application. The Port Splitters generally allow one normal uninterrupted channel, plus one outbound-only messaging channel. First let's figure out which protocol the PV550 is using; DF1 or DH485. The exact part number of the PanelView 550 terminal will tell you for sure, so have a look at the sticker on the back.

Might be a far stretch, but what's the possibility of using a Micrologix 1100 or 1400 in it's place? It has Ethernet and serial built in.

I checked this out but the 1200 that we are using has a different amount of I/O's to a simular 1100 or 1400. Also I would not be allowed to modify the program that much. I am on a course today Ken, so I will get the info for you tomorrow if thats ok. Thanks again, Conor

Hi guys, The panelview is a 2711-T5A 16L1 Ser b Frn 4.46

What about one of these. http://www.bb-elec.com/subcategory.asp?subcategoryid=93&Trail=2&TrailType=Top http://www.bb-elec.com/product_family.asp?FamilyId=102&Trail=2&TrailType=Top

My recollection of the 1747-DPS1 was incorrect. The "second" channel is a "response only" channel like the second channel on a MicroLogix 1200R. The 1747-DPS1 will work for this application. Connect the DF1 PanelView terminal to the "secondary" channel and it will be able to read and write data from the controller, while the controller retains the ability to communicate on the other channel both with incoming requests (like RSLogix 500) and outgoing Message instructions.

Did you want to use these two connections?
A little bit late in several years, but I can quite accurately say that it would be possible to read the data or send it with the help of the serial splitter . Here you will understand where the signal is coming from and where. Well, if you need to redirect it or reassign it.

Edited by GerryPot