Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BobLfoot

STOP: d0000144 Unknown Hard Error

3 posts in this topic

Came in today to a BSOD with the following error message: Now the good ole power cycle and this system booted up normally, but I wonder if the hard drive is on borrowed time. Anybody seen this error or have an idea what might have happened.

I have had this on two brands of industrial PC units. I don't recall if the error number was the same, but the 'unknown hard error' was the text. The problem would clear after a reboot, but got worse over time. I replaced the hard drives in one unit and a complete unit on another. I opted to do a complete replacement on the one unit due to its age. Try running a CHKDSK to identify bad areas of the disk to buy time until a replacement can be scheduled. The units that failed were constantly logging data and the hard drives barely had a chance to rest. I am not sure of your application, but if you are logging data to the local drive, you could reduce the frequency of the logging or temporarily disable it to buy you some more time.

It doesn't necessarily have to be the HDD. It might very well be a glitch in the RAM. You can also run Memtest to check the RAM banks. See http://www.memtest.org/#downiso, download the USB key installer and run the test. It takes a pretty long while by the way (depending on your RAM size), might be in the order of hours.