Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sergei Troizky

RS232 Communication Board as programming port?

2 posts in this topic

The FX1N-232-BD Communication Board manual says: "Features: 1. Port to transfer data using the non-procedure method between RS-232 equipment... 2. Port to transfer data using a dedicated protocol between an RS-232 equipment. 3. Port to connect a programming tool." Does a programming tool here mean a general purpose programming tool like PC? Who knows anything about such possibility? Edited by Sergei Troizky

Yes, it can mean a PC. Basically, the 232-BD boards are identical in use to the normal 422 programming port. In other words, you can use them for any of the types of comms mentioned in the programming manual including the actual programming of the plc. You can transfer programs, go on-line, etc using the 232-BD board. You can also do serial comms between plc's, etc as you would expect. There is nothing different for you to do either. Pretend you are connected to the 422 port. The plc treats it the same. The first thing I usually do when I buy an FX system is install a 232-BD. Then I do all programming with an ordinary serial cable between it and my pc. I find it's easier than fiddling with and wearing out my sc09 cable. I don't scream quite as loudly when someone steps on my $5.00 serial cable as I did when it was the sc09. I can also plug an hmi into the now empty 422 port and still program the plc without having to configure for pass-through mode, etc. When the project is complete, I can easily recover the 232-BD if it's no longer needed.