Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris Elston

New MrPLC features?

17 posts in this topic

Ok thanks guys for supporting MrPLC. I have a question for everyone. What else can MrPLC do for the automation world? Photo Gallery? Better Free Classifieds? Post your suggestions here. I'll take it to the "bank" and see what we can do.

I like Jay Anthony's earlier suggestion of a place to record hardware failures. Could be a good resource for info on products that have problems, methods that cause problems, etc. Also gives us an idea of the reliability of items that are often marketed as being perfect (ie. no one brand may be worse than others but at least we get an idea of the failure rate of the group as a whole).

What about an upcoming events page that spotlights tradeshows? Personally I would enjoy hearing about new shows, and even if I couldn't attend I would probably at least peruse the show's website. They might even serve as a meetpoint for members to meet face to face. Listing worldwide events might spur people into travelling to see new technology, like the Hamburg or Detroit shows for example.

Chako I like both Jims and Rebukes suggestions 1. Hardware failure, also may be a faq section. 2. the trade show is a great idea.

How would the "hardware" failure section work? Just allow members to report failures in some sort of a registry? What kind of data would be good to lookup? Like think about it from a database point of view. What kinds of information would you like to collect and display on the website? As far as the FAQ, the article pages are kind of sort of like a FAQ. It just takes time to write them up. I figure I got the rest of my life to fill those pages up. Others have help, for example Jim's Safety Article was awesome. The trade show idea would be tough, MrPLC would have to get in close with some trade show vendors. Typically what trade shows does everyone attend? I go to the Automation Fair put up by Allen Bradley, is that the trade show information you guys would like to know about?

Hardware monitoring hardware failures accurately would be tricky. I have found that most 'hardware failures' are caused by miss wiring or sizing. Now how many people are going to admit to that or even realize that is what happened? I think the trade show idea is great.

As for the trade show thing it could just be an anouncement, may be add on an official thread in the forums...

On the trade shows, what shows should MrPLC monitor? If we know what you guys like as far as "trade shows" we might be able to make some contacts and get information up on MrPLC pretty quick. It could take some time to keep in the loop but a listing of trade shows that MrPLC should monitor would be a good start... any one? any one?

I think that the ideas with result of forum dynamic. It is more interesting discuss solutions than answer problems.

For the Trade Show idea I was thinking along the lines of making posting available to the members themselves. To keep out the jokers a posting could have a show's URL linked to it in an attempt to autheniticate it. (Not perfect, I know)

We are thinking about bringing back the webmail. So you could signup for an e-mail like: user@mrplc.com We would not allow POP3 access at this time, but we would give you an awesome WEBMAIL tool to check and send your e-mail. Plus we have very good anti-spam tools in place for any address at mrplc.com. Does this sound interesting to anyone?

Here is antoher idea for MRPLC: A cross reference for A-B knowledge base It is really hard to find something in AB KB, but they have thousands excellent technotes For start it may be a crossreference for FAQs: - Message between different PLC types using different media. - Latest firmware revisions for different series of PLCs - Part numbers for A-B manuals - ControlNet configuration - Redundant PLC systems - ControlLogix gateway/bridge - RSlinx comm troubleshooting I started doing this myself, but no time to complete. What do you think about this?

Hey guys! You asked for it. Start contributing. If you've got a war story about hassles with a product or if you've got a feather in your cap for specifying a great product, let us know about it. Product Reviews

Hi Jay, How to post review? I don't see button to open entry form...

Click on REVIEWS at the top of the page. If your not login in, you'll have to login. Use your forum ID and password. It's the same. Click on "Report a Product" once logged in. Hope that helps.

I followed your instructions, my eyes almost poped out and nothing... Then I enterd one of the groups and noticed the link. I returned to main page (reviews) and the link was missing again. Cunfused, I hit reload button in my browser and then it shows up (hmmmm... I need my coffe)

Really? darn it... Can you give me a screen shot of the top of the page? Mine looks alittle bit different but should have the "Report a Product" link for you too.