Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BobLfoot

RSlogix 5000 V17.2 Editing Question

7 posts in this topic

Ran into an interesting situation today while programming and wondered what others thought. BACKGROUND: A Door on a machine was removed and repalced with a solid plate. The Limit Siwtch which had reported to the PLC that the door was open was also removed physically from the machine. I was asked at a programming tech to remove the input in question from use in the program. THE SITUATION: We have by Corporate Edict a Standard Input Processing Routine we duplicate for each and every Input to a plc. This takes the Raw Input and Adds features like On Delay, Off Delay, Forced On from HMI. Forced Off From HMI to create a Processed Input or .InpS tag for that input. The .InpS tag is then used in the remainder of the program where ever that signal is needed. My procedure for removing the input was pretty straight forward. Most XIC's of the .InpS were just deleted. Those XIO's that went to Alarm Logic were replaced with a LogicFalse bit. Next I deleted the JSR Instruction which calle dthe routine from being scanned. THE DILEMA: Now I wanted to move the unscanned routine from the task it was in to the unscheduled programs folder. I even went so far as to create a program called TemporaryHolding in the unscheduled programs folder. But while the "cut" option would remove the routine from the active program the only place I could paste the routine was into an offline scrap program. I could not move it to the online version unscheduled programs folder. Does this sound like correct behaviour or did I make some editing sequence mistake.

Greetings Bob ... I think that you've made a few typographical errors in your original quotation (above) - and I've made corrections to make it say what I THINK you're asking ... if I understand correctly, your confusion might stem from the fact that the target folder you are trying to use as a "dumping ground" is named the "Unscheduled PROGRAMS" folder ... specifically, it is NOT named the "Unscheduled ROUTINES" folder ... (I anticipate a "bingo" moment here) ... suggestion: as a "learning tool" experiment, play around with an old "junk" ACD file – and rather than using "Cut and Paste" to move the "stuff" around, just "Click and Drag" instead ... you still won't be able to put an unused ROUTINE into the Unscheduled PROGRAMS folder – but watching the little "No-No" appearance of the mouse pointer may make it easier to see what's going on in RSLogix5000's little mind ... hope this helps ... I apologize if I've misinterpreted what you meant to say ... Edited by Ron Beaufort

Bob, The Unscheduled Programs/Phases is just that "Programs" and "Phases". If you are trying to remove a routine, simply make sure there are no references to the routine via JSR's and such. At that point, delete the routine. Removing the JSR's will prevent the execution of the routine. Double check in the database that the state of the .InpS is set to zero, or a rung in the Main routine that pegs it to zero or always off.

Once again Ron you show your wit and the pention {sp} for understatement. Posting at the end of a night of Program Editing is a recipe for misspelling errors. Your understanding is spot on. I'll have to find time to play and see if I can move the routine from one program to another in the active task and then move the dummy program containing the routine to unscheduled. Seems like a lot of work just to hang onto code I might emphasis rarely "might" need, but a fun exercise none the less.

I attempted what I think you are trying achieve on a test rig containing an L61, if I try to drag and drop a routine from an unscheduled program to a schedule program it won't work. I can however right mouse click on the routine in the unscheduled program, export it, then right click on the desired scheduled program and select "import routine". The entire routine comes in, in edit mode and I have to then accept the changes as you would with any online edit. Oh cut and paste does not work either.

Ok scrap the above....I have just re-read your original post and I am going about it the wrong way. I made a new program "Dummy_Program" in the unsheduled programs folder then exported a routine from the scheduled program then imported it to the new "Dummy_Program" in the unsheduled section. I then went and removed the JSR referencing the routine that I export/imported then simply deleted the routine using right mouse click delete. I think that is what you are trying to do? PS all in version 17.2 Edited by KidPLC

Nothing to add except the word is "penchant". /pedantic tripe Merry Christmas everyone!