Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest master

GMR Configuration

17 posts in this topic

Is it true that GMR configuration should use 3 PLC to connect to the Genius devices... Cause when I look at GMR configuration SBA 29 30 31 is already assigned to PLC A, PLC B, PLC C.... When I change the number of CPU to 1 still the SBA assigned to PLC A, PLC B, PLC C. Anybody know about this ????? Thank You...

You can put together a Genius Modular Redundancy system with one, two, or three processors. It depends on the level of redundancy you're after. So, yes, it's true that you can connect three PLCs to the Genius I/O. Whether you should depends on your application. Have you been in contact with the people who specified this system? You should be able to get assistance from the people who sold it to you. Redundant systems, by their very nature are complex. Since they are justified on the basis that the cost of downtime is unacceptable, it's important that they be properly configured and commissioned. Have you considered hiring an integrator with experience in redundant systems? Have you downloaded the manuals related to GMR from the GE Fanuc website? To answer the question you posed in your private message, I don't have any examples of configuration for redundant systems. I suggested that you first establish communications between a single PLC and the Genius blocks before moving on to the challenges presented by redundancy. You may have misunderstood my answer. In your email, you asked , but my suggestion was about using the Genius Handheld to configure the individual Genius I/O blocks and making sure that the PLC's I/O configuration matched it. Please respond by letting me know if you understand what I mean about the Genius I/O block configuration needing to match the PLC's I/O configuration. If you don't, I'll explain in greater detail.

I still dont understand what you mean about PLC configuration should match Genius I/O configuration, cause i have changed the configuration of the block and i matched the configuration in the PLC configuration and i'm using HHM to change the SBA and baudrate of genius I/O block. I use DC32SNK, but still the i/o enabled wouldnt turn on .... For example i try to configure block that output only at SBA1 and Input only at SBA2 and GBC at SBA 31 and HHM at SBA0 I have changed my configuration in PLC configuration that GBCA had two devices at SBA 1 and SBA 2. But at GBCB and GBCC no devices. I set the baudrate to 153 EXT Baudrate and i have changed genius i/o baudrate with hhm to coresponding baudrate.... But Still The Genius I/O enabled led wouldnt turn on but, input only block run perfectly. it can transmit data to the plc about the state of input.. Output only block couldnt respond command from PLC and Loss of devices occured in I/O fault..... Plz explain how to match I/o configuration with genius i/o block.. I will be very grateful Thank You

OK, Genius takes a wile to understand but once you get it is relatively easy. Under normal circumstances a GBC (Genius Bus Controller) can be any address on a bus and can control other genius devices on that bus that it has been configured for. Configuration is done through Logicmaster, Versa Pro or CME. However If you want to use genius redundancy the address (SBA) of the GBC becomes important. Basically when a Genius device, like an IO block, is configured for redundant CPU's then the first GBC it will listen for is SBA31, if SBA31 is not broadcasting control data then the IO block will listen for SBA 30. I have worked on one full GMR system with TUV6 rating and these systems are designed to operate under single fault conditions. i.e. one processor dies or bus or block (depending on the system when this happens the system usually orders a plant or operation shutdown of what ever it's controlling or protecting) I work with, on a daily basis, a duel processor single bus system that affords me the ability to have a redundant processor system. This will allow me to make almost any changes to the system whithout me having to shut it down. A good starting point is the GE Fanuc manual "Genius® Modular Redundancy". Lots of diagrams that can help you see what a system may look like. http://www.geindustrial.com/support/docume...ts/gfk1277d.pdf

What are you using to configure your system.... LogicMaster? Is it a true GMR type system or redundent control? Is it an operating system or bench top.... i.e can you muck with it? Have you toggled the power to the genius block's? Some configuration data is only read on block startup?

I'm Using Logicmaster with 788 CPU (GMR) I'm still learn about this system, I'm trying to make TMR system. But when I connect 1 CPU with 1 genius I/O it canot work (I/O enabled off) but if i configured it to input only it can work perfectly, but still the I/O enabled block led OFF When I can connect 1 CPU to 1 Genius I/O then I perhaps step forward to TMR system.... is that any specific power sequence to powerup GMR system ? altought i have tried to Turn On and OFF the genius I/O several times but still the I/O enabled led OFF

If the I/O Enabled LED is off, it indicates no communication between the bus controller in the PLC rack and the Genius block. When you say it works OK when configured as inputs only, do you mean that you can see an input turn on and off when monitoring it with Logicmaster? Or do you mean you can see the LED on the Genius block turn on and off? Have you installed termination resistors at the physical ends of the bus? When I say that the PLC configuration must match the Genius block's configuration, I mean this: If a 16-circuit block with SBA 1 is configured as inputs only, when you run Logicmaster configuration and zoom on the bus controller, and look at device number 1 on the bus, that device should also be configured as a 16-circuit inputs only. This does not happen automatically! The configuration you make at the block using the Genius Handheld must be duplicated in the PLC using Logicmaster.

I have done it. GBC A at logicmaster configuration, i have add the device at GBC A at SBA 1 as output only and SBA 2 as input only... What strange is the input only can works perfectly... what i mean perfectly is The input can used normally.... If input got low input the led turn ON and at digital output in the RACK turn on too, I use IC697MDL750. %Q33 %Q1 ---| |-----------( )----- And it blink when i use this prg. %S5 %q33 %q1 ---| |----| |----( )----- It means that input run perfectly, but why I cant control the output ???? and still the I/O enabled led is OFF.... Is this Cable problem or termintaion Resistor ??

Your sample ladder logic is a bit confusing. Presumably, %Q001 - %Q032 are assigned to the MDL750. To what device is %Q033 assigned? The designation %Q applies to outputs, but you said it's working correctly when the block is configured as inputs only. The inputs from the Genius block should be mapped to %I address space.

Sorry I'm Wrong.. . %Q33 ==> %I33 %I33 ~ %I64 --> Genius I/O DC32SNK %Q1~%Q32 --> Digital Output...... %I33 %Q1 ---| |-----( )---- %S5 %I33 %Q1 ---| |------| |----( )---- Sorry . . . . This can perfectly run... and i/o led still off... but output can't be controlled and loss of device occured .....

Let's say you wanted to add a new block with 32 outputs to the network at SBA 2. Here are the steps you need to go through. First, in the PLC's configuration using Logicmaster software: 1. Zoom on the GBC 2. Use the left or right cursor keys to highlight SBA 2 3. Press F2 (d out) 4. Cursor down to IC660BBD025 5. Hit <Enter> 6. Logicmaster will assign the next available %Q address to the block. You may modify it if necessary. 7. Hit <ESC> enough times to get back to the main menu. 8. Press F9 (utilty), then F2 (store), then <Enter>, then <Y>, to store the revised configuration to the PLC. The PLC must be stopped before trying to store the configuration. 9. Restart the PLC. Second, at he Genius block using the handheld: 1. Power up the block with the bus cable disconnected. 2. From the F1 key (Prog Block ID) of the handheld, assign SBA 2 to the block. 3. From the F2 key (Config Block) of the handheld: 3a: Pulse test - don't care, you decide. 3b: Input filter time - leave at default 3c: I/O Circuit Cfg - change to all outputs (default is all inputs). 3d: Report Faults - don't care, you decide. 3e: Hold Last State - don't care, you decide. 3f: Output Default - don't care, you decide. 3g: BSM present - No for a single Genius cable, perhaps Yes for your TMR system. 3h: Output Def Time - Leave at default of 2.5 seconds. 3j: CPU Redundancy - No for the purpose of testing, probably Yes for TMR 3k: Duplex Default - Leave it at OFF 3l: Config Protect - Leave it disabled. Cycle power to the Genius block after setting these parameters to make sure they have been accepted. Reconnect the Genius cable. Make sure the termination resistors are installed at the physical ends of the Genius cable, and that the resistance value matches the characteristic impedance of the cable (don't use a 75 ohm resistor with a 150 ohm cable).

Thanks Steve, but do you know value of termination resistor should i use, if i use belden twisted pair cable 1583A, cause the i/o led block still off.... Thank You

I don't see Belden 1583C cable on the list of recommended cables for Genius. Quoting from the manual GEK-90486F-1: "Other, small-size twisted pair shielded wire of unspecified impedance can be used for short runs of 50 feet or less, using 75 ohm terminations."

It still doesnt work i have used 75 ohm termination resistor and and belden cable 1583, for 10 feet long... the output still canot be controlled, if I sequence the power of genius I/O ADD'N OF DEVICE occured both at %Q33 and %I33.. but still the output canot be controlled, and input run perfectly.... any other sugestion ...... :*-( Thank You

Check to make sure that %Q0033 has not been assigned to more than one device. Using the handheld, can you force the outputs on the Genius block on or off? Are there any faults on any of the blocks? Are you sure that the same conductor in the cable is connected to Serial 1 at all devices and the other conductor is connected to Serial 2? The handheld can give you some diagnostic information about fault status, the presence of forces, bus scan time, and communications errors. Try connecting it at any location and use it to scan through all devices on the bus. Is there anything else in the PLC program that could be interfering. I'm thinking specifically about datagrams that might be trying to communicate with one or more blocks.

I can force the Q output from HHM. even when HHM pluged into GBC I can controll all of the device from HHM, by selecting the ACT device from HHM, I can Force ON or OFF.... But the PLC seems canot control the output but fine with the input .... I dont know why ??? I have changed the address of output block to %q97 but still I/O loss off device occured .... But when both of block I configured as Input it can work perfectly...... any idea ..... I'm realy frustated :*-(

Does the Logicmaster configuration of the Genius Bus controller still call for a redundant system? If so the bus controller you're using might not be controlling the bus. Open Logicmaster configuration, zoom on the bus controller, then zoom on whichever SBA corresponds to the bus controller (usually SBA 31). What is the selection for the 'Redund mode' field? The choices are "NONE', 'DUAL BUS', 'RED CTRL', and 'DB/RC'. The redundant control schemes require a mechanism to define which bus controller in which PLC is in control of the outputs.