Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bearsgone

AB1400 Different Port

8 posts in this topic

Hello I am wondering if somebody had experience with setting up AB Micrologix PLC such as 1400 or similar to respond on different port such as 192.168.1.1:81? Not sure if it is even possible? Thanks for any help

Unless something has change recently, the Micrologix doesn't support raw sockets. You might try some intermediate device such as the Red Lion display or data station. It supports raw sockets and is a great universal translator

Are you talking about RAW ASCII data or just redirect RSlinx or HMI to port 81? Edited by Contr_Conn

Not trying to highjack this thread but what are raw sockets?

Jeff With Ethernet TCP/IP is a transport layer, it delivers a payload packet of data from one device to another How data organized inside a packet and how devices respond to a specific request called protocol Rockwell PLCs talk on the Ethernet using Etnenet/IP (CIP) protocol (older PLCs use CSP protocol) If a 3-rd party device does not speak CIP or CSP, then it will not undestand or be able to send data to a PLC (MLX1400 in this case) In this case open sockets (or raw sockets or raw ascii) comes in play - it allows RA PLCs to read non-CIP data and respond to it. Typically used with non-CIP RFID readers, barcode scanners, printers. 1756-EWEB, 1768-EWEB do it for logix platform, MLX1400 does it also In a near future 1756-ENxT[R] will have open sockets too. Profosoft modules can do it as well. Edited by Contr_Conn

Cool I haven't done as much research on communications as I need to. Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the info The idea was to set up a dsl line for remote site. Reason for not using dial up is a very poor line connection(static). It takes 5 min to update the program. During that time I loose connection 95% time. DSL would allow for quick update even if connection is not that great. So the idea is to get DSl line, install cisco router, connect ML1400 to a router, forward ports. The problem I am experienciung is that cisco does not seem to support raw packets. I can not get to PLC using cisco, but if I connect streight to PC or a dumb switch there is no problem. I have PanelView C1000 and it works fine with Cisco router. I understand it is using Windows CE. Is there a router that supports raw packets? Thank you

in this case open sockets will not do anything for you since they can redirect data connection only, not RSlinx traffic If you have one PLC only then you can use you router's port forwarding for TCP ports 44818 and 2222 A much better solution is to use a router with VPN capabilites and install VPN client on your computer Edited by Contr_Conn