Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gleblanc

Wire for analog sensors

3 posts in this topic

Hi folks. I need to wire up some analog pressure sensors. They generate a 4-20mA signal which will be fed back to the PLC. The runs are all under 20 feet at the outside. Environment isn't too noisy (electrically speaking). I do have some 24VDC solenoids that are located adjacent to the sensors. The sensors are SMC ISE30A-01-D-L with a 2m long, 4 conductor lead wire. I think all 6 sensors can reach a junction box. Should I wire from the JB to the control panel with 6 x 4 conductor cables, or should I use 7 x 2 conductor cables (1 for 24V DC and 6 for analog signals)? I'm thinking that 24AWG is going to be plenty large. My thought is to use the 2 conductor cables, with a larger cable for the power into the JB. The local electrical supply house asked me what type of shielding I needed, and if it was 100% or 120%. I have no idea how to answer that part of the question. He stocks Belden wire, so that's probably my preference. TIA! Greg

Every now and again a post get me to thinking and yours was just such a one. Just visited our wire storage room cause I couldn't recall the belden number {senior moment}. Ok enough fluff - we use Belden 8760 for 4-20 signals almost exclusively. Have used 8770 and 9553 in situations where multiple parallel signals were involved, but I still prefer 8760 for anything under 1000 foot run on a 4-20 signal. Just MHO and preference.

+1 on Belden 8760. We use it almost exclusively.