Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest RGKing

Communicating With Micrologix 1000

2 posts in this topic

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I was up pretty late the night i posted the original message and i realized i forgot to mention that our IT person switched the laptop operating system from Windows 98 to Windows 2000. When i run RSLINX LITE and click on Who Active i don't get any icons of slc processors or the micrologix 1000. I was connected to the processors each time i tried this. Our IT person informed me that she reinstalled RSLINX LITE so all previous connections are now history. I connected the laptop to a machine on the plant floor and got the same message as that i got when i connected to the Micro 1000. Path or node not found. Is this a Windows 2000 problem? Sorry that i forgot to mention this in my original message.

Most of what follows has already been covered by other posters - but sometimes seeing it expressed in a slightly different way can be helpful. First step: making sure RSLinx can communicate with your processor: Do you have the DF1 driver set up in RSLinx? Check this (in RSLinx) by clicking Communications on the top menu - then Configure Drivers. If you do not have a DF1 driver installed - add one (use the one for "RS-232 DF1 devices" - not the one for "master" or "slave"). Next go to the "Configure RS-232 DF1 Devices" window. It will open automatically if you're adding a new driver - but if you're working on an existing driver, just click the "Configure" button. When the "Configure RS-232 DF1 Devices" window opens, make sure your MicroLogix is connected and then push the "Auto-Configure" button. RSLinx will check all available baud rates, etc. and (if you're lucky) say "... successful ..." when it finds the MicroLogix on the end of your cable. Be aware that to see a station on the "RSWho" screen, the autobrowse feature must be checked on (enabled) - and the little blue and yellow boxes on the netword icon MUST BE going around in a marching pattern. This indicates that RSLinx is browsing that particular network connection. Sometimes people try all sorts of things and the stations won't appear - that's because if the blue and yellow boxes aren't marching, then the network isn't being browsed - and the active station indications won't change. If all of this is done correctly, and if your equipment is in good working order, then RSLinx should show you a picture of your MicroLogix in the "RSWho" window. This communication link MUST be correctly set up before you can download a program. In other words, if RSLinx can't see your processor - then RSLogix500 doesn't stand a chance of downloading a program to it. Something to check if you can't get the MicroLogix to talk to RSLinx: make sure that your computer's COM port is turned on. Recently some customers have had trouble with Windows (or with the computer's BIOS) disabling the COM port as part of the battery power saver feature. Second step - getting ready to download: Open the program you want to download. Notice the "Driver" and "Node" settings (located just above the Project Tree window at the left side of your screen). These settings indicate the intended target of your download operation. Your DF1 driver and the station number (USUALLY "1d" - for "1 decimal") of your MicroLogix should be listed here. If these settings are incorrect, then change them under "Controller Properties" - on the "Controller Communications" tab. Notice that there is a "Who Active" button on this screen to help you target your MicroLogix processor. Click "Who Active" - highlight your processor - click "OK". Then double-check the "Driver" and "Node" settings. Third step - download the program: If you've been successful with the two preceeding steps, then you're ready to download the program. That's the easy part. Breakdown of steps: (1) make sure RSLinx can communicate with your processor (2) open the program you want to download and check the driver and node (target) settings (3) download the program Good luck, Ron