Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Duffanator

Citect Included project communication issue

7 posts in this topic

Hey all, I'm having a weird problem and I'm wondering if anyone has had this same issue or something like it. We are running a redundant Citect server (V. 5.42 r0) and I have a project from an air compressor room that is included in the main project. The air compressor room project also runs locally on a machine in the air compressor room. The local machine communicates to the controller (Opto 22 PAC-R1 via OPC Ethernet) fine and all the information shows up on the Citect screen. However, the included project in the primary and backup Citect servers does not... everything comes up #COM. It worked before and I checked all of the Board, Port and I/O settings and they are identical. I tried unlinking the project and creating the link again and also including the project again but the same thing happens. I don't understand why the local project, that is exactly the same as the included project, will get data out of the Opto 22 but the master included project will not... (I can ping the Opto controller from the Citect servers so it isn't a network connectivity issue). If anyone has any ideas or anything else to check please let me know, thanks!

First only run the prim server to check communication When you run your computer setup on your primary Citect server. Is the server named there the same server as defined for your Controllers? To create a redundand machine you'll have to setup the communication twice. Once for the server of the primary server and the back-up server. The the I/O number should be the same for the boht I/O Device(since it's only one controller). Then you'll have to secify which one is the primary path to take and which one is stand-by(startup mode). Edited by Gambit

Thanks for the reply Gambit, The redundant servers have been up and running for about 8 years now so that's all been proven. I did try running the air compressor project on just the primary server and shut down the backup server and still the same thing. It's exactly the same project as on the local machine, just included in the primary and backup server projects. It seems like it runs by itself as the server, I/O board, and port is not defined in the primary and backup projects, but it is defined in the air compressor room project that is included into the primary and backup project. We have another project for a boiler room that runs exactly the same way and that one is fine. I can't find any difference but I don't know where to look! I don't know enough about Citect to understand how the included projects work.

So If I understand you correctly. You wan't the local machine to be the server for these devices and the primary and backup system to be clients to this local machine.

Yes, I think so. That seems to be how the boiler room project operates. If I shut down the project on the local computer in the boiler room then the boiler room page on the primary and backup servers loose communication as well, so I would imagine that this is how the air compressor room would behave as well.

You started the topic with "We are running a redundant Citect server (V. 5.42 r0)..... This is strange unless they are redundant servers for some other I/O devices. For the boiler room it sounds like they are just clients. Citect v 5.42 still uses NETBUI to search for the servers. You should check if this is installed on your local Windows machine ethernet settings.

Ok, I'll check that too. Thanks for the information. There are 8 or 9 additional I/O devices that are HACCP related. Those are local to the redundant servers. By the way, I didn't design the system, I'm just trying to fix it. Edited by Duffanator