Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gleblanc

QX40

4 posts in this topic

Just to make sure I'm not missing something. QX40 input modules are NPN (sinking) type, right? Therefore I should connect them to PNP (sourcing) type sensors, such as an SMC ISE30A-01-F-L http://www.smcetech.com/CC_host/pages/custom/templates/smc_v2/prodtree_product_2.cfm?cc_nvl=((searchPart,ISE30A-01-F-L),(CC,SMC,INS_US,5031US))&CFID=1384935&CFTOKEN=26517364&jsessionid=2a30f6e54fdbe962592671625a2b1a7d7f22 Thanks, Greg

You can not use PNP-type of sensor with QX40 input module, because the first works with "common minus" scheme, and the second works with "common plus" (Japaneese specification). So with QX40 you should use NPN-type of sensor or to change the input module on QX80.

Mitsubishi is backwards from other companies like Allen-Bradley. You use an NPN sensor for an NPN input card and a PNP sensor for a PNP input card. Allen-Bradley and I think some other companies are opposite. For their NPN cards you would use a PNP sensor and for their PNP cards you would use an NPN sensor. Just remember with Mitsubishi that whatever the card is, that's the kind of sensor you will need to make it work. Pretty easy

The QX40 has PNP transistors to accept inputs from NPN transistors. Mitsubishi calls it a sinking module because it accepts a sinking output from a sensor, etc. As Duffanator says, this is different from Allen-Bradley. To call it "backwards" is value judgment. I started with Mitsubishi, and think of A-B as backwards! It boils down to what is meant by sourcing/sinking. As Inntelle indicates, in the Mitsubishi world, the term refers to the system as a whole. Sourcing equals common-minus (system common is 0V, and outputs pull voltage up to 24V for logic high) and sinking equals common-plus (system common is 24V, and outputs pull voltage down to 0V for logic high). In the A-B world, sourcing/sinking refers simply to the transistor itself. Sourcing equals PNP and sinking equals NPN. In both cases a PNP output goes to an NPN input and vice versa. They just call them different things. At the risk of high-jacking the post, I'd be interested in hearing what other manufacturers do? Same as AB, same as Mitsu, or something else?