Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sharkie

sending binary code thru rs232 port

5 posts in this topic

I have a project that i need to send a part number thru the micrologix 1200's rs232 port to a computer and i'm nut sure how to. This is the first time that I've have to do something like this. I understand that I can setup terminal server to recieve it. What I need help with is what commands do i use in the program to send the binary code? Basiclly I'm looking to send '001' or '004'. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

If you are sending a number to a computer then you should probably send the number in ASCII...

Ya as i started loking into it i realized that. I'm a noobie at this. I've been doing good but sending data out of the PLC is a new challenge for me. I've had no training just learning off the internet and by trail and error. I think I can figure this out but if anyone has a small sample of the ladder logic it would probible cut my learning curve down alot.

Store your binary numbers in a ST file. Then use the ACSII write to channel 0 or channel 1 to send out numbers from whatever you stick in the ST file. Use Hyper Terminal in Windows to see if your PLC logic is correct. It should be pretty easy. By default when you open a new project using a ML1200. You will not have any STRING REGISTERS created. Please see my training MOVIE abstring.avi

Yea I didn't realize it was going to be that easy. When I took a minute to look at it I didn't know it was just using a AWT command. I happened to get it before I saw your post. But thanks alot for making that clip for me. THANKS!