Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kewl1313

micrologix 1500 High speed counters

10 posts in this topic

I am trying to figure out how to setup and use the high speed counter. I am trying to us a encoder with it. Then us the encoder and a space counter...as per expamle x amout of encoder tic's make x amount of inches.. Any Help would be nice. Thanks Dan

Do you have the encoder hooked up? Do you see the input bit turn on and off as you rotate the encoder? Are counts occurring in the HSC accumulator? How far are you in this development? Where do you need help?

Yes I have it hooked up and I do get a signal. I do believe I need to fine tune my signal for it. I only get one count on 1 fulll turn. I can get the signal to go to a N7 file and watch it count. I am trying to figure out how to write the logic so I can use the signal to either make a funtcion start or stop. Thanks

Now that you have the count as a number look up the math instructions and compare instructions. You can manipulate the numbers and compare them to points a which you wish actions to be carried out.

That description makes it sound like you are only counting the z-pulse. Can you tell us more about how the encoder is wired? Be as specific as possible, and include part numbers if you can. Edited by OkiePC

One more thing that always gets me. Is to set the filter time of the input down.

The encoder is one off of a machine that we used to have...It is a BEI IDEACOD type: GHM510-1800-001, I have wired up 24vdc out of the plc and wired up A which is a green wire and B which is a yellow wire. A is hooked up to I:0 and B is hooked up to I:1. Hopes this helps... Thanks again veryone

You do not mention wiring up A- or B-. Don't leave the common of the channels floating. The channels are wired into discrete inputs, or high-speed counter inputs? If you have access to an oscilloscope, you should be able to tap into the pulse train from channels and verify a signal. What PLC model and high speed counter card are you using?

I wired it up as per the Rockwell Automation. They did not say to wire up the A- or B-.... As for a oscilloscope I can not get one. The PLC is a MicroLogix 1500 and I am using the High speed counter that is built in.. Which lets me us Input 0 and Input 1. If there is a better way of doing this Please let me know..

Not finding any info on your part number. Sounds like you have it wired right. The filter settings are going to be critical...be sure to check that under I/O config. You need to use the HSC file, not just regular input instructions and counter. I have little experience with the function files in the Micrologix, but Bernie appears to have strong knowledge in setting that up.