Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Penko Mitev

Motion Controll for Robot

5 posts in this topic

Hello everybody! We constructed our own SCARA robot for internal company purposes. As for mechanics, everything is ready. However, we still have not decided how are we going to control the unit. The specifications are: axis X - 200 W, 0.64 Nm servo with brake, absolute encoder axis Y - 100 W, 0.32 Nm servo with brake, absolute encoder Servo drives(it can be 2-axis one or two separate ones) - Because it's a robot, there must be interpolation between the two axes. PLC or PC-based control over the two servo drives + some additional I/O. I asked for quotes from different well-known brands such as Beckhoff and Mitsubishi, but the price for control compared to the expenses for building the mechanics is several times higher. The problem derives from the amount of redundant features of the equipment. For example, we were offered a Motion Controller capable of controlling up to 16 axes and at the same time we need just two and so on. What we are looking for is a low-cost solution for controlling the unit. Because I do not have experience with some brands, that's why I am asking if anyone could suggest a brand manufacturer. It can be a manufacturer from anywhere in the world, well-known or not so popular. Thank you in advance!

So you have a SCARA robot that is 2-axis? Or do you have a 4-axis home grown SCARA? Typically the term "SCARA" means 4-axis. One third party motion controller I've used in the past that cost about $1500 ball park is a Trios Motion controller. But it does not include amplifiers. It's just the controller. I also do not know if Trios has SCARA kinematics or not.

I know you said low cost, but you could look at AB CompactLogix with motion and SERCOS. Version 17 was ROBOT functions.

The pieces of the pie... 1. Motion development software Suggest Phoenix Contact's Steeplechase VLC I found to be a straightforward and reliable motion development software package. http://www.phoenixcontact.com/automation/32131.htm 2. Motion control card (PC-based?). There are a host of motion control cards to fit the bill 3. Communication protocol. I would stick with SERCOS, but you might find a cheaper method for your application. 4. Servo Amplifier. Once you are set on the protocol, then you spec out the amplifier to fit the specification. I have had luck with Bosch Indramat, but they are expensive and may not have an offering that dips down to 100W. If you hit a road block with any selection, you might want to work with your local distributor to find a product offering that fits what you have specified so far. One issue that may throw a wrench in your inexpensive robot project is...motion specifications. What do you calculate for end of arm inertia, envelope (dimensions for maximum physical movement) and maximum speed. These calculations will factor into your servo amplifier. You really do not want to go through all of the work to specify, purchase, install, wire, program and then learn that your maximum speed or end-of-arm weight are limited.

Recently we do two scara robot(4 axis each) for palletizing by Mitsubishi servo Motor+CPM1H(or CP1L cheaper) Omron Plc. We had to write a program to Calculate the cinematic formula to change the coordinates to angle of motor shafts for each point in robot reach area, But as Frinds mentioned either TrioMotion Company has some controller and has some firmware for Scara robot and another kind of robot. Also Omron standalone controller Trajexia can handle 1-4,1-16 axis like TriomMotion and the programing same but upgrading is later than TrioMotion and i am not sure about Scara firmware.