Industrial Projects

RTU Modbus With CJ2M PLC and 3G3RX Drives on RS485

16 posts in this topic

Hi All, This is my first post so am sorry if anything is done incorrectly... I am having trouble with Modbus RTU on RS485 I have not worked with modbus before or Omron, So i am finding it hard to try and figure both out. The Hardware being used is: CJ2M PLC 3x 3G3RX Drives Is there a simple way of creating and sending the commands? ie a function block I have been looking around for a fb however i have had no luck with the ones i have found and i think it may be due to the RX Drives. Any help that can be provided will be much appreciated!
1 person likes this

Which port are you using to talk with the drives? Are you using the 9 pin Host Link port on the processor with an adapter, or are you using a CJ1W-SCU31 (or other SCU module)? There are protocol macros written to do Modbus RTU, it just so happens that I was testing one yesterday with a 3G3MX2 drive. So, if you are using the SCU module, I can provide some code to help.

You seem to be a little green around the ears regarding Modbus etc, so may i suggest that you break the project down into small bits, understand those and implement and put together. Ie You know nothing about modbus.... there is a plethora of information on the web regarding the make up the protocol of modbus, have a read to understand what modbus is, what is a typical comm's frame in modbus, what is the CRC etc. This will give you good understanding of what to expect when debugging comm;s problems. Second, as the previous post explained, if you have a serial comm;s card (SCU....) then a modbus protocol macro can be used to simplify the modbus comm;s programming. Read about protocol macros, and how to use them. Third. To understand the comm;s first you can download a very useful tool called Multiway. This tool will allow you to connect from your PC to a drive talking modbus, as long as you have the wiring correct. BTW, you said that you have 3 x drives, so obviously you are using RS485 comm;s, arn;t you. Break the overall task into smaller tasks, then the problem aint that big

Sleepy Wombat, I have read up on modbus and the command structure that is sent to the drives however have never got it to work. I will download and try Multiway and see if i can understand it better. Thanks to both for the replies and advice. Edited by Industrial Projects

Does the cj2m not support easymodbus master as cp1 series does?

Sorry! Easy Modbus Master is not supported on the CJ Series.

Hi PMCR, I am using a CJ2M-CPU32 fitted with CP1W-C1F12 RS485 interface card, not SCU. Thanks anyway.

Industrial Projects I understand what you have now. I would highly recommend adding an SCU module to the project if you are going to communicate Modbus RTU to the drives. You will save a great amount of time using the pre-written code to do the Modbus communications using the SCU module and the Protocol Macro that I have written for the SCU. PMCR

PMCR Thank you for the code.. i am looking at doing that now as it will save so much time. Thank you for your help.

Hi everybody,

I found this post searching for info about a similar problem I'm trying to solve.

I've been told than it's possible to communicate a CJ2M-CPU33 with this device through Modbus RTU using the built-in serial port of the PLC with a CP1W-CIF11 interface for RS422/485.

I only need to read some registers from the device to save them in the PLC memory, so it would be nice to avoid the expense of a SCU.

Do you know if this possible? Is there an existing FB useful for this?

Thank you very much for your help. 

On 1/9/2017 at 7:46 PM, pedro_ant said:

Hi everybody,

I found this post searching for info about a similar problem I'm trying to solve.

I've been told than it's possible to communicate a CJ2M-CPU33 with this device through Modbus RTU using the built-in serial port of the PLC with a CP1W-CIF11 interface for RS422/485.

I only need to read some registers from the device to save them in the PLC memory, so it would be nice to avoid the expense of a SCU.

Do you know if this possible? Is there an existing FB useful for this?

Thank you very much for your help. 

Omron FB Library provide this _CPU012_SendCommand FB which can be used to send FINS-to-Modbus Command into the Serial Port, if it is configured as a Serial Gateway.

But you still need to manually create the Modbus data to be sent, and process the receiving

Dear Sir

I have a CJ2M-CPU34 and CP1W-CIF11

so my question is as below:

1. could we use easy modbus way to connect CJ2M to other device through Modbus Protocol? if not we must use FB? and do you have any sample?

Best Regards

Mehdi

On 8/19/2010 at 6:38 PM, Michael Walsh said:

Which port are you using to talk with the drives? Are you using the 9 pin Host Link port on the processor with an adapter, or are you using a CJ1W-SCU31 (or other SCU module)? There are protocol macros written to do Modbus RTU, it just so happens that I was testing one yesterday with a 3G3MX2 drive. So, if you are using the SCU module, I can provide some code to help.

Hello,

Can you send me the sample project for protocol macro and CX-Protocol.

I am using CJ2M-CPU35 and LS drives.