Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sergei Troizky

Keystroke substitution software advice needed

5 posts in this topic

Does anybody know a software capable to substitute double space with assigned symbol, in real time, during typing? All keystroke substitution softwares I've found, do not recognize space as a trigger symbol or symbol for substitution. PLEASE, do not suggest any "great soft, though it cannot do exactly this". Edited by Sergei Troizky

AutoHotkey will do it. Use a hotkey script such as: :: ::% (Two spaces between the colons. Replace % with whatever symbol you want to use.)

Thanks, ECSI This looks exactly what I needed. The script must be :?*: ::% Without ?, the double space cannot be a part of a word (must be preceded with a separator character). Without *, the 3rd space is required as ending character. Edited by Sergei Troizky

Glad it worked for you. May I ask what you're trying to do with the script? How do you avoid the symbol showing up at the end of a sentence where normally two spaces are used before starting the next sentence? Autohotkey saves me a lot of repetitive typing. I use a lot of 2-character hotkeys. It's great once you have them all memorized.

It's all about personal preferences. I hate typing underscore, and prefer to hit the spacebar twice instead. I don't know what you mean by using two spaces to start a new sentence. I need repeated spaces extremely rarely, and in such case they may be separated by Esc or Right arrow; I've already tried this. Anyways, the Hotkeys is extremely powerful tool. Thank you for the reference once again. Edited by Sergei Troizky