Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris Elston

Forum Software Upgrade 7-24-2010

27 posts in this topic

Well as you can see, we have updated the forum software and gave it a new skin look. If you see any problems or can't do something, please post the problem here or any praises or questions.

I like the new look at a lot ! It seems to me that I can see a lot more information on thread traffic at-a-glance with the new layout and skin. Great stuff, Chris !
1 person likes this

It does look a bit better than before. But, maybe I am blind, but I just cannot seem to find how to list only the newest unread posts. I really need that to get quickly to the latest posts.

It will take a little while to get used to, but overall I think is is a fresh clean look, with lots of little improvements that make the board better. Eg the watch buttons are a great addition. I agree, the new posts links should stand out some more, and perhaps combine it with the "mark as read" button. Right now I can't find how manage post attachments...
1 person likes this

Jesper - You now have a choice what new topics you can view. It use to be before, it would show you unread topics and if you didn't read them, the next time you came back the new post would be gone. Most people's accounts are going to be set like this. There is a NEW OPTION, in your personal settings. I would recommend to change this the other way, so all new content stays put until you get a chance to read the posts.

PDL - If you click up by your name, you can get to your settings control panel is where you will find manage post attachments. Question...you to have a limit set? Does that need to be increased?

This is a GREAT addition! Thank you! I am getting an error when I click on your .jpg attachments above. I thought .jpg files would show up directly in the post.

I have trouble with the lighter text colors. They seem to fade into the background.
1 person likes this

When you attach a JPG, you can choose to leave it as an attachment or put it into the post. The put it into a post option shows up after you upload the jpg. Above, I placed it into the post so that it looks like an image, rather than an attachment. So because it's an image, if you want to download it, you would do the normal thing of right click save as. If it has a paper clip, you can right click and download or click and then it shows up in a flash viewer.

Where at the main body of the post? Or buttons? Let me know where and we might be able to darken a few areas or bold some fonts.

When I first got on this morning, every channel showed the new icon, but when I clicked show new content, only 6 items came up. I marked all as read, and it seems right now.
1 person likes this

Correct. All users got reset because of the way the new content is tracking what you viewed, what you read, and what you haven't. So at the bottom, is the MARK ALL AS READ. Then that resets the board that you've read everything. Now ICONs show up correctly as you have found.

If I left click on the paperclip attachments I get a "[#10171] You do not have permission to view this attachment. " message. if I right click and save link as, it gives me a filename of 'index.php'. Using Firefox v3.6.8.
1 person likes this

Thanks for finding this one. I think I fixed it. It was only in this forum here. But I enabled it.

This is minor, but there is no link to MrPLC.com homepage. Ought to use the logo at the top.
1 person likes this

I agree. The main body of the posts seem a little on the light side. If you could darken them up slightly that would be great, otherwise everything else appears to work great. Thanks Tom

No real complaint, as I can easily change the Font size with Firefox, but considering the white space in the frame maybe the default font size could be larger too. Anyway for my "old" eyes. TIA Edited by RussB

How does the font and color look now to everyone? Is that better?

Looks great to me using FF 3.6.8

Much better now. Thanks

I like the changes, except for the way that quotes appear within replies. Previously, they were in boxes but now they blend in so that it's not easy to tell when the quoted portion ends and the new reply begins. this seems to apply only to quotes in threads that were created prior to the upgrade. The quotes in the replies in this thread look just fine, but here's one that shows what I am talking about: Edited by OkiePC

What you are seeing is something we may not be able to fix. All of the old quotes converted this way. Any new quote boxes should be OK. I will work on "reviving" the old posts and quote boxes, but due to the technical nature of what is going on, I am not sure I can bring back the old quote boxes.

Ok so after I posted this...I figured out how to fix it!!! Thanks for the POKE Okie! I ran a script on the database, and all posts should be fixed now. Let me know.
1 person likes this

Very nice thank you.