Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Daryl

ControlLogix Certification

9 posts in this topic

Anyone done the certification, either Maintenance or Programmer, certifications offered by Rockwell? I've had a look at the requirements with regards to the Rockwell training courses, but was wondering how difficult it really is. thanks... Daryl

The courses really aren't hard. You sit through it and try to stay awake. The certifications more or less just demonstrate the fact that you attended the class, kind of like collecting CEU's (continuing education units) for showing up to Code classes and the like. AB trainers essentially just grind through a slow, set pattern of introducing various features of the PLC. For the money, if the goal is to get someone "trained", pay Ron Beaufort to do it. Roughly the same cost but your technicians will stay awake and will get 1000% more knowledge and skill out of it. If someone is obviously "not going to get it" or simply flat out obstinately trying to disrupt the program, Ron will happily first give plant management a chance to correct the problem, and then kick them out if necessary.

I second Paul's comments on Ron. Look at my Avitar you will I have been there done that. Ron is the man.

Kind of pricey to me, but after watching a sample video, I am 100% positive that the money would be well worth it. I did not see, does he offer training at his facility as well?

Thanks for taking time to reply folks, but, unfortunately, your man Ron is about 4,000 miles out of the way for me. I'm based in the UK where there seems to be very few options available for decent ControlLogix training. The certification is more for my company's benefit as they are big on showing paperwork for employees. Although the feedback regarding the way the AB courses are taught by Rockwell are slightly worrying, as it'll be my main source of learning. I have no prior knowledge or experience of PLCs and need to become a bit of an expert as soon as possible. Won't have to do much programming or starting any systems from scratch, it'll be more keeping an eye on contractors initial setup, faultfinding and any modifications required. I do, however, have plenty of programming experience, and have done plenty of fast track IT courses to make me confident enough to be able to learn PLCs quick enough. thanks... Daryl

I understand the 4000 miles. This is NOT A BASH on Rockwell!!! I like once thought that the Rockwell training would be great so I went through a class for SLC. It sucked I spent a full day learning how to count in Hex, Octal, & Binary. I don't really care what the chipset is inside of each mode of processor. I am not of fan of monkey see monkey do teaching with overhad projectors. Why do 15 people have to slowdown because one student is slower than the rest? Those are some of the problems I have seen with the training provided by RA, and several other training companies. I will only go to Ron's classes for training as long as he is willing to have me. I now have to pay for my own training. The $2K+ is a drop in the bucket because of HOW & what you learn. I think he is the same price as Rockwell you do get a pretty paper to certificate to show tha you attended and passed the class.

In your case I am not sure what else is over there, but you may want to try at a local college? If not, I am not sure Rockwell can give you the training you need. Most of their training is based on the fact that the person knows a little about programming before you go to their class.

first of all, thank you Paul and Jeff for the very kind referrals ... and from Armadillo852: well, let's assume for the sake of discussion that you can't come to Charleston ... then based on your statement just above, and on the rest of the evidence we have before us, I'd recommend that you go ahead and take the Rockwell courses – and get the certificates that your company desires ... and you WILL get some amount of benefit from the Rockwell training ... THEN ... I'd strongly recommend that your company invest in a portable "training station" made up of the same types of hardware and software that you'll be dealing with in your work ... trust me, that investment will pay big dividends IF (that's a big IF) your personal schedule will allow you adequate opportunity to work with it ... we wish you the greatest success in your studies ... please keep us posted on your progress ... Edited by Ron Beaufort

Ron, Thanks very much for taking time to provide such detailed feedback, it's certainly helped to give me a little more confidence in what I'll need to acheive. I have a decent timeline in which to become familiar enough to be the company's PLC guru, probably about 12 months. I may have given the impression that it'd need to be quicker by saying "as soon as possible", a bit misleading possibly. I am very motiviated to do this as in the current climate, this may be the best chance I have to help safeguard a job in a place I enjoy working. I don't see the Rockwell training as either the beginning or end of my training, more of a base foundation of knowledge to build on. I am lucky enough to have a company that has also invested in a Toughbook laptop, several different versions of RSLogix software, and many spares that can easily be setup as a test station. I'll also try to convince them to purchase the RSTestStand software, but at (approx $8k), it may just be a bit much. On that note, is there any other software similar to RSTestStand that isn't as expensive? I'd like to be able to import the ladder logic from some of the AB systems we have and play around with them a bit more. I'll certainly take on board the advice given from yourself, and also the others in this thread, and hopefully I can achieve what I need. thanks to all who've replied. thanks... Daryl