Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gamble

Formal Safety Policy

2 posts in this topic

Frequently I we get called out to local factories to aid in troubleshooting or machine repairs. We are starting to get requests from some of our customers for our formal safety policy. In the past we have usually defaulted to the customer's policies, but I think that some of the new Arc Flash standards are causing people to reevaluate their safety policies in general. Does anybody care to share how they have handled these situations? I am not opposed to a formal policy, but considering the work I do varies from place to place I need something that can be useful in all situations. I think there is a fine balance between having a practical policy that allows you to get your work done safely, and a policy that is too vague and just becomes a piece of paper in a drawer.

As I travel to many different plants as well, our company just uses what the plant we visit has set up. I agree it is becoming more and more difficult to adjust. Arc flash is a completely animal. Does your company supply the equipment? Is it the customers responsibility because ultimately they are responsible for everyone under their roof. Then the question becomes how to travel with the added equipment and who pays for the added baggage????