Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
janek

RSLinx for CompactLogix L43

8 posts in this topic

Hello, I tried to connect to my CompactLogix L43 using WinXP & RSLinx v2.43.01.23 (CRP6) & USB-RS232 converter & cable as described in the L43 manual, but RSLinx cannot set connection to the PLC. What is wrong? Many thanks Zib Edited by janek

RSLinx 2.43 is probably five or six years old. You can install the EDS files for your new CompactLogix CPU, CompactLogix backplane, and CompactLogix network modules into that version, but it's probably easier and faster to install RSLinx Classic 2.55 or 2.56. The Lite edition of RSLinx Classic is a free download from Rockwell Automation Support. Start at support.rockwellautomation.com and navigate to the Software Updates site. http://www.rockwellautomation.com/support/webupdates/

Just today I got a brand-new, out-of-the-box CompactLogix 1768-L43 system with 1768-ENBT modules and ran into the exact problem I've seen described here, where RSLinx Classic couldn't browse past the 1768-ENBT. I registered all the EDS files, deleted the Harmony.rsh, and Harmony.hrc files, restarted RSLinx... nothin. Click-click. Turned the CompactLogix (still with v1.1 boot firmware only) from Program to Run and back to Program, and the browse started to work.

Thanks for reply, Could you tell me what settings do you use to configure the connection (baud rate, parity etc) for L43. Thanks

When you are connected directly to the DF1 serial port, the only setting you need to change on the "RS-232 Devices" driver is the Device Type: set it to "Logix 5550/CompactLogix". The rest of the settings remain the same: 19200 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, BCC error checking, full-duplex. If you are not using the customary COM1 serial port, you need to change that to match your serial port assignment as well. The "Auto-Configure" button works 90% of the time, too.

Hi, I've installed eds files but nothing better. I will try to use RsLinx 2.53 tomorrow. thanks

hello again, I tried to use RSLinx 2.56.00, but still nothing. Is it possible that manufacturer of the machine (where PLC is installed) blocked the connection somehow? thanks

It's possible that the serial port has been configured for a protocol other than DF1 Full Duplex. CompactLogix serial ports can be set up for DF1 Half Duplex Master, DF1 Half Duplex Slave, DF1 Radio Modem, DH485, or ASCII protocols. The port can also be disabled. 90% of the time if the serial port is not in use, it is left at the default settings for DF1 Full Duplex. If I were in your situation, I would take my PC and USB/RS232 converter to another Logix-family controller or the nearest A-B distributor and test them on a CompactLogix or ControlLogix controller that is known to be properly configured for DF1 Full Duplex. That will allow you to eliminate the port, cable, and software as possible issues and let you focus on the controller. Be sure also that you are specifying the correct COM port number. USB/RS232 converters are notorious for being assigned different COM port numbers... check the Windows Device Manager (Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> Ports (COM & LPT)) to see what COM port number your converter is using. Some inexpensive USB/RS232 converters are absolute junk and should not be used in an industrial setting. I own six or seven USB/RS232 converters but the only one I use regularly is the Keyspan HS-19. The other ones are not worth the time spent on troubleshooting them.