Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
skjomcs

different ip addresses cant see each other

5 posts in this topic

hi, we have a pc connected to a switch which is on our network with an ip something like 10.0.1.234 (there is remote access to the pc), we then have a laptop that we need to connect to a plc. the laptop needs to be on our network with an ip like 10.0.1.233 as it is also needed to allow remote assistance in, however it needs to connect to a plc which has a different ip something like 195.234...., the ip and subnet of the plc are fixed and canot be changed. anyway the laptop has only one lan and we're trying to figure out how to connect to the plc over ethernet yet also have the laptop on our network with remote assistance. Ideally the pc, laptop, plc should all see each other and connect to the switch with remote access to the pc & laptop, but the plc has the oddball ip that cannot be changed. Anyone have any sugestions? the main pc has multiple nic, so i though if i connected the pcs first nic to one lan, then connected the plc & laptop to the switch and connected the switch back to the second nic on the main pc maybe bridging the connections or something would work, so that the user could remote into the main pc then gain access to the laptop from this pc & then the plc, however i dont no does that make sense. thanks

Hello, Exactly why a router was designed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Router You can also look on the PC under 'Internet connection sharing.' From the help file: If you want to share one Internet connection among several computers, you have two options: Use Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). Use a router. Good luck, Mark http://www.peakhmi.com

how does ics work, the pc connects to the internet but wouldnt the plc & laptop need to be set to dhcp? thanks

you can: - keep changing laptop IP address depending which device you are connecting to (either manually or with some utility or script) - use router - assign more than one IP address to same NIC http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-20...istaxp20002003/

+1 A properly configured router would solve the problem completely. I'd be wary of binding multiple IP addresses when PLCs are involved - I've seen negative "side effects", like locking up (non_PC) devices, on the network. Your better bet may be to get a USB/PC Card NIC and have 2 connections, using a static IP address with no default gateway for the PLC network. Also, it would be a good idea to use separate VLANs if possible. Edited by Nathan