Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EvilToothpaste

Inconsistent Coms in Win7 with ControlLogix 18.10 CPR9

4 posts in this topic

First I'd like to say: why didn't RS make version 18 compatible with Win7? Second, I mean to say this is referring to RSLogix 500 Pro 8.10 CPR9 ... sorry. I've read many threads full of people saying they could install ControlLogix just fine under Win7's XP Virtual machine. So did I, there's no problem there. I can download (10% of the time corrupting processors), update firmware (50% of the time nearly bricking processors), and Go Online (for thirty seconds at a time). Needless to say, something is happening to the communications that RS doesn't like. Has anyone else seen issues like this, either on Win7 or on another OS? Was there a solution? Does anyone know if there is some kind of protocol that should be installed that gives better comm consistency? Or a higher priority for the Virtual Machine, or something along those lines? Any help is greatly appreciated. Edited by EvilToothpaste

What is your connection mechanism; serial, Ethernet, wireless, etc ? What version of RSLinx Classic are you using ? Was this PC a Windows 7 native install or an upgrade ? I've seen this kind of complaint with USB/RS232 adapters under XP. Have you done any tests or measurements (wireshark, docklight, RSLinx statistics) to troubleshoot the communications medium ? I'm not saying there's nothing wrong with RSLinx Classic / Windows 7 but we shouldn't leave out the physical and logical path between the software and the controller.

Connecting through Ethernet, RSLinx Classic version is 2.55 (upgrading to 2.56 as soon as it installs). This is a brand new Dell with Win7 64 bit native. I actually haven't done any kind of physical troubleshooting. I assumed it was windows7 because my XP box with the same install versions of RS just a few feet away works fine through the same ethernet switch. I will take a look and post the diag info in RSlinx when I get it up and running.

Well, the only thing RSLinx diagnostics tells me is that communications were canceled. They work for about ten seconds, then stop. 2.56 upgrade changes nothing.