Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest whitneyd

Download vs Upload

8 posts in this topic

Using the AB Logix500 the process of loading thr PLC is refererred to as "download" i.e. sending data from the PC, while the reception of data from the internet is called "downloading. Why is this so?

Guys who are used to "downloading" files from the internet to their PC often don't like the use of term download when it comes to PLC because it is away from PC. I don't know for sure where the terminology comes from. Up or Down in this case has nothing to do with height. It could be part of client/server or book/bookshelf concept. One way to look at it is that "down" means "to target" (end user) and "up" being simply the oposite ("to archive"). Another way is to simply live wth it. It's not that there are too many choices...

Panic, you could not of summed it up better when you said

By the way: Why do we say "Shut Up" to somebody and "Shut Down" to computer? :-p Edited by Sergei Troizky

i know its an old topic but had to add my 2c! I use ab and modicon all the time..It gets realy confusing couse modicon refers it to as UPLOAD to the processor...And Download to pc.. Only screwed it up once!!!!! Once was all it too to sit back for min and THINK before pressing the button!! Also...only in windows would you have to go to start to stop the computer from running!!! Edited by darrenj

In the same sense, you could think of the smarter device or entity would be in a higher position. for example the internet is smarter than my PC so the PC downloads from internet and uploads to it.in the same way my PC is smarter than the PLC so I download to the PLC and upload from it.

I guess I have been doing this for too long. I always thought the Internet was backward.