Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rbenh

How can i connect my pc to a 5/04 using the three pin plug of DH+

7 posts in this topic

So i need to connect to my PLC through a remote terminal on my main panel. This terminal has both RJ45 and 9 pin connector. I wish to use the three pin plug of channel 0 of the 5/04 (Allen Bradley) to do this. I need some wiring info or perhaps a pre-made cable to connect on either of the fore mentioned ports.

What is the remote terminal? Brand ( complete catalog number) Link to a manual if you have it. The thread title says PC to SLC5/04 if so then see below. To connect to the RS232 port on the SLC5/04 you need a null- modem cable to the serial port on your PC. Or if the PC does not have a serial port then you will need a USB to serial adapter. To connect to the DH+ port directly to you PC you will need a 1784-PCMK card ( PCMCIA card) or 1784-U2DHP cable ( USB to DH+ cable) see links below. http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/i...in045_-en-p.pdf http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/i...um519_-en-p.pdf Edited by Mickey

To connect to your SLC 5/04 DH+ your will need a converter such as a 1784-PCMK, but this is channel 1. Is the channel 0 sub d 9 pin connector being used for something?

i am saving the serial port for future printer app. but what i am trying to to do connect to the three pin connecter on channel 1. I am already connecting to he 8 pin round unit of channel 1, but to use that one i have have the panel door open. Termial i mentioned has a 9 pin, a RJ45, and and outlet in it. I wish to connect the 5/04 to the terminal (mounted on the outside of panel) so then i can connect to the plc from outside the panel. Also trying to do this without purchasing any special cables.

As ask above, what is this terminal you are talking about? To connect to a SLC5/04's DH+ port you are going to have to have some kind of special cable as stated ( in my post ) above. The round 8 pin port on a SLC5/04 is a DH+ port.

The terminal is a Memco or Menco brand. I could use the round port if i had an extention cable with a 9 pin female plug on the other end. Is this item available?

My earnest advice - give up on the port you have. If you don't you are going to cobble something together that someone will plug into incorrectly and blow something up, either a PC or the PLC or both. Go to Grace Engineering and configure a proper port with a real DH+ connector. Unless Memco/Menco/Whatever has a port with a connector SPECIFICALLY MADE FOR DH+ don't try to whip something else together. Believe me, in the end you will pay much less by changing out the enclosure port.