Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kadesign

Protocol Macro

14 posts in this topic

Is there a Protocol Macro available for the Mettler Toledo Weigh Scales for the CJ1 Serial Boards, or do I have to write it myself with Cx-Protocol ?

There is no protocol macro that I know of that has been posted here or at Omron. Feel free to post the communications manual for the Mettler Toledo Scales here so that others may assist you in beginning this task. The first big hurdle in any protocol macro creation is understanding the protocol. We have several good protocol macro programmers from down under who visit here regularly.

If you just want to read the value of the scale then as Jay implied post the protocol and we could give it a shot. You could then use this example to create other sequences. BTW also include the comms setup information ie 9600 8 n 1 etc...

BTW, kadesign, are you a company called KA design based in Melbourne Australia ?? If so i am sure that Rob Westlake, Rob Lloyd would be able to help you out also...

Thanks for your suggestions, guys. I have attached the software protocol for the Scales. It appears to be a very basic protocol, with no Header, Address or Check Code. Just a simple text command, with a text reply, each terminated with a <CR> <LF> Terminator. It resembles the standard ASSCI text code of a Modem communication, and I was wondering if I could use the standard Hayes Modem AT Command Protocol Macro, and use Sequence Number 553 (Hex 0229) Data Send/Receive (general purpose sequence). However, I believe that the Modem Terminator is a single <CR>, not <CR> <LF>. Would be nice to use a standard Protocol, rather than designing my own, as I would be a first time user of Cx-Protocol. Thanks for the offers of assistance, but I guess if nothing standard is available, I will have to learn Cx-Protocol properly.

I see the file for the Mettler Toledo protocol did not attach. Maybe Norton Internet Security objected to me "giving away" a file, so have turned it off. If file does not attach this time, maybe somebody could tell me what I am doing wrong. All looks easy enogh to do, so will try again. MT_Scales_SB32000_standard_interface_command_set.pdf

Please find attached a Protcol for Ranger Weigh Scales. I have included only for a read of the of the displayed value. This sample sequence has been written to automatically read from a number of weigh scales on a RS485 network. To use the protocol the source word in the PMCR instruction in the PLC will be S = No of words to send to PMCR S+1 = No of Ranger Units S+2 = Ranger 1 Addr S+3 = Ranger 2 Addr ........ Therefore for 2 Rangers S= 4 S+1 = 2 S+2 = 1 (Ranger Addr 1) S+3 = 3 (Raner Addr 2) Ranger.zip

If this is a simple protocol like you implied, there is a collection of generic ASCII sequences that have been designed to add TXD-RXD functionality to SCU/SCB modules for the CS/CJ family of PLCs. I have posted it in the Omron download section here at MrPLC.com. ASCII Generic Protocol Macro @ MrPLC.com

Thanks Wombat and Jay. The ASCII Generic Protocol Macro is just what I was looking for ! Maybe Omron would include this reference in the Manual for the CJ1 Serial Cards ? Although they mention the available Protocol Macros for Omron Temperature Controllers and Bar Code Readers etc., we all have to use what the Customer specifies, and if it is a Mettler Toledo Weighscale, then thats what it must be. The ASCII Generic Protocol Macro may solve other simple protocol serial communications requirements, and should be worthy of a mention in the Manual. It may then enable CJ1 Serial Cards to be considered for Projects where the cost of full facilities Procol development via Cx-Protocol can not be justified. I was now I am

The ASCII Generic Protocol Macro is in public domain and must be loaded with CX Protocol software to the SCU/SCB. The manual for the board documents preloaded protocols from the factory. Therefore, I do not see Omron including the documentation for anything other than what comes preloaded from the factory.

Jay, Thanks for info. and your considerable help. Did not realize that Cx-Protocol was still necessary to load a pre-written Macro. For others reading this Post, the reason for the debate is that Omron Cx-Protocol software costs well over US$1000, and may be a prohibitive cost for a single Project, with minimal re-uses after of the software. Jay, If Omron already preload a generic form of Hayes Modem Protocol Macro onto their CJ1 Serial cards, as well as their Proprietry Temperature Controller and Bar Code Verifier Macros, why not also, or instead, the potentially more useful ASCII Generic Procol Macro, or something similar ? Surely they would realize that Protocol Macro has to be used for Products other than their own, and would want to make that use as cost effective as possible ?

When you but the unit why not ask your distributor to preload the free public domain ASCII protocol for you??? $1000 US, How much does engineering the code in the PLC cost ?. All in all Omrons software cost i believe is reasonable compared to other manufactures. However, as with any software purchase i do agree that it is nice to be able to reuse it on a number of projects to spread the cost.

From PM this morning: Online|I/O Table|SCU|Unit Setup

Finally it's working. I changed the configuration using the "software switches" option... The only thing missing (that took some time...) is that after changing the settings for the serial board, a reset has to be done to the PLC. Thanks for the help!