Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
robh

Maple systems Remote HMI

6 posts in this topic

http://www.maplesystems.com/e-news/vnc-rem...30-10/index.htm This looks pretty neat.

I agree it looks neat, but you still need access from the outside. So this is really no different than accessing say an AB PanelView Plus 1500P. As long as you have a VPN connection, you can connect. I am sure the cost is cheaper than the AB model. Other than that, I see no advantage myself. However, I may order one to fool around with in the shop.

I have experimented with it a little bit on an HMI5070TH that I had here for another project. It works OK using a VNC client on a PC but WAY to small on a cell phone. The complaint that I have about it is that there is no way to detect when the VNC is connected to disable functions that should not be permitted from remote access. My worst nightmare is some kid with a cell phone app gaining access to a customer's system.

I use it to remote monitor a machine, but I only use it in the plant. I don't access from outside of the plant. It does come in handy when you want to look at an error or what the machine is doing from down in our shop. I wish Mitsubishi would do that with their HMI's.....

I want one.....I recently set up a Maple Systems HMI5056Nto work with my ICP DAS I-7188EGfor monitoring 6 zones of temperature and controlling them. Since I have used Maple Systems before, I called tech support at ICP and they walked me through this in about 30 minutes. Now you are telling me I can do this remotely. Sweet!!!!

Yeah, it's pretty easy too. Just enable the VNC server in the HMI, assign a password and then download a VNC client (I use TightVNC) and you're good to go. I got it working in about 10 minutes on my own. Can't get any easier than that