Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dfwise

Barcode Reader Macro

15 posts in this topic

Hello All, I have a NS10TV01BV2 communicating with a CVM1 PLC through serial port A on the HMI. All my serial ports are used up on the PLC but I need to add a barcode reader. Has anyone wrote a macro in an NS to read in the barcode information from serial port B on the HMI and then wrote it into the PLC memory? This is the first time I've had to use a macro and I'm not sure where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can do it without a macro. Look at this example. Barcode Example @ MrPLC.com

Jay, How do you specify where the Reader will input the information or does that just depend on what string display has the focus? Will this only work if the HMI is on the screen with the string display and has the focus?

1. The one that has the focus. 2. Yes, only if on the screen.

1. The one that has the focus. 2. Yes, only if on the screen. What if you put the string on a sheet, hid it using the control flag and then applied the sheet to every page?

Would it still keep the focus on that string? Also, would it allow me to write that string directly to the PLC address or would I have to use the HMI's internal memory and then transfer it to the PLC?

Would it be better to just add an ASCII card to the PLC and read it in that way?

Ok. I see from the top you want something for CVM1. Yeah, an ASCII module would be the thing. See if you can find a C500-ASC04. About half the cost of a CV500-ASC11.

I found a way to free up the CPU's comm. port. Since I just installed an LK201 card I'm going to move the HMI that is taking up that comm. port to the LK201 and then plug the reader into the CPU's comm. port. Then I should be able to use an RXD command to bring in that information right? Thank you for all your help!

Isn't it wonderful what a rich instruction set that C-Series and CS/CJ series have? Unfortunately CV Series does not have TXD/RXD instructions. You may want to consider a CP1H with two serial ports and receive the barcode through one port and re-transmit it to the CV Hostlink on another port. (The ASCII module is a cleaner but more $$ solution.) Maybe PMCR might have a better suggestion.

I also have a C200HE that is on the Link Relay network with the CVM1. I could read into the c200HE, do my compare, and then link relay the results to the CVM1. The comm. ports are all used up but I have some open slots on the rack. What ASCII card would I need for this? Would a C200H-ASC02 work? I can get those used for $400. The C500-ASC04 is about $1050 used. P.S. In case anyone is looking for older OMRON PLC's & parts www.PLCCenter.com has a lot of them.

Good Idea. You need a C200HW-COM02 communication board. Slides right in to the CPU for one more port. It will also accommodate your Syslink port. " Would a C200H-ASC02 work?" It would but its overkill.

Ebay C200HW-COM04 would do the same thing. C200HW-COM04 @ ebay.com

It already has a COM4-V1 installed for Controller Link and the other two ports are used by a Keyence Laser and a Microscan CCD Barcode Reader. So I think I'm stuck with the ASC card...

I'm not sure if anyone is still checking this thread. It was very helpful, I haven't tried to implement it yet, but I'm pretty sure it will work. However I need to ask, is there a way to keep a continuous reading without having to push the "ENT" button? If so, how can I do it? Thanks in advance for any idea