Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rajsiyer

Accessing a particular EXCEL File from Intouch at Runtime

5 posts in this topic

Hi friends, I want to open one particular EXCEL file at runtime, always the same file without browsing, from WindowViever. I'll be thankful to the chap who helps me out. Pardon me asking a stupid question. But I don't see any FileOpen() type of function in WonderWare's InTouch HMI Thanks, once again, regards, and Best wishes Raj s. Iyer

Have you done any InTouch training, or read through the help files? The help files list all the functions, grouped under certain categories.

Dear lost control... Thanks for your suggestions... Most certainly, I'm well versed with In-Touch.(& also many other SCADA applications) There are indeed functions but not one which can open a particular Excel/CSV file. For this you need windows. For example, in Citect there are several file handling functions. In InTouch you've only the StartApp, ActivateApp, FileWriteFields/FileReadFields Using StartApp, I'm able to open EXCEL in a new workbook. But then how do you go to the reuired file directly from View? I am also familiar with your batch_to file saving method which I'm reasonably sure must be using the FileWriteFields & FileWriteMessage functions. All the same, using these functions towards getting a nicely formatted report in an Excel file is difficult if not impossible. For the purpose achieved by these functions it is better to use SQL functions. Reverting to your question...what is my intended purpose???? I wish to pop-open a particular Excel/*.csv File, which has permanent DDE links to InTouch's tags. The User sees this file and does a "Save As... " How does one go about it ie. if it is at all possible. Regards, best wishes, Raj S. Iyer

Ok, but they why does it need to be this way, is it some sort of reporting file/template that management likes, that is linked to live data? I can sorta understand this then.

Thanks pal. This works very well. Stupid of me not to experiment with the syntax. Actually, Wonderware is the easiest of them all to handle. Where I work we the joke is... Anybody who can put on his Underwear can easily master Wonderware. Have a beautiful sunday. Regards, best wishes. Raj s. Iyer