Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cmoim

slc500 5/05 ethernet

11 posts in this topic

Hi everybody, i have home an SLC500 1747L553,ser C,FRN 11, i bought it to learn how to make changes via Ethernet. i read that there's manual and BOOTP configuration, i am intersting on manual configuration. i connect my laptop to the modem (provided by my internet compagny BELL) and connect the SLC500 to the modem too. i went to channel configuration, deselect BOOTP. My question is : where to find the IP adress, the configuration asked for (i am still learning).There's too many adresses on that pop up, i don't know where to find them. I know that i have IP adress on the laptop, but on the PLC !!!!!!!!!!!!! Please can you help me Thanks a lot Edited by cmoim

I read your post and at first thought, "the controller's IP address is right there in front of his face". On second thought, there really are a lot of settings on that dialog that might confuse a novice user. In RSLogix 500, in the Channel Configuration dialog, in the Ch. 1 Ethernet tab: The IP address of the controller is the second field, labeled "IP Address", in dot notation. This is the IP address of the SLC-5/05 controller. Hint: use decimal values in each "octet" (between dots) and never use leading zeroes, i.e "12" instead of "012". The Subnet Mask of the controller is the next field. Most applications with small subnets use 255.255.255.0 as the subnet mask. Every other field on this dialog can be left at default for 90% of applications. You will usually choose "Auto Negotiate" for the speed and duplex. You don't need a Default Gateway unless you're communicating outside the local LAN. You don't need Name Servers or a Domain Name unless you are using an enterprise network with domain naming. And the rest of the settings for passthrough and link ID have to do with old Allen-Bradley communication techniques that you probably aren't using.

Thank you very much for your reply. I checked the hardware adress in front of the face of the controller, i found it, this will go to the first field, but i don`t know where to find the SLC 5/05 IP adress that goes to the second field labeled as you said < IP adress > in dot notation. Ìs it right to use the modem as i explained in my first post. thanks a lot

If you are at the controllers location then a null-modem cable from your PC's serial port to the SLC's serial port is all you need. Edited by Mickey

thanks Mike for your reply, but as i posted before i would like to connect to the SLC 5/05 by ethernet and i dont know where i can find the IP adress to put in the second field, after the hardware IP

You have to choose the IP address to use. You need to learn enough about how Ethernet works before going any further. You need to set up your own numbering scheme by picking appropriate IP addresses. There is no preprogrammed "hardware" IP address, because the IP address must be configured to match your site's addressing scheme. The only hardware address is a MAC address, and that's because Ethernet has a vendor-based addressing scheme that guarantees that every device has a unique one.

I know now how to choose the IP adress. In my site's adressing sheme, i have a laptop with IP adress 192.168.2.16, computer 192.168.2.10, another computer 192.168.2.11, another laptop 192.168.2.14 and the TV Samsung serie 8, 192.168.2.15, the router have 192.168.2.1 IP adress, the mask is 255.255.255.0, for my SLC 500 i choose 192.168.2.13 but like before, the same thing, shows me yellow exclamation and red cross. i am using RSLinks 2.55 and windows XP professionnal SP3, RSLogix 500 pro version 5.50. When i put the 192.168.2.13 in the internet browser i can see the diagnostic etc.... of my SLC 500,5/05 ser C, FRN11 !!!!!!

That's excellent troubleshooting: using the Internet browser you have verified that you have basic connectivity to your SLC-5/05 controller using TCP/IP and HTTP. Now you need to figure out why RSLinx, using an Allen-Bradley protocol, cannot make the same connection. My first guess is that there is a firewall setting that is preventing RSLinx from communicating with the controller. My second guess is that there's something about the Internet router and other home-entertainment equipment that has blocked RSLinx from communicating with the controller. In RSLinx, use the "Ethernet Devices" driver and configure the Station table with the host name "192.168.2.13:EIP". If that doesn't work, experiment by turning off your Windows firewall. The TCP ports you want unblocked between your PC and the SLC-5/05 are TCP Port 2222 and TCP Port 44818.

If you want to eliminate the Router as a source of the problem just get an ethernet crossover cable and go directly from the PLC to your computer. If that works - there is something in the router blocking you. If not - the problem is in your computer and I would procede along the lines of what Ken suggests. Ethernet crossover cables are cheap diagnostic tools that you should never be without.

My problem was the RSLinks, i installed the 2.55 and every thing went good Thanks