Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
damaged

Ultra 3000

3 posts in this topic

I got something I would like to throw out. I got asked today if I could setup a servo drive, Ultra 3000. Well I dont want to say no without actually looking into it, plus I have had a little experience with them but only on the "connecting and here is the fault code" so I decided to bring it here. I have been doing some reading on the install, wiring, and some in the I/O. I got into the motor feedback (different encoders) and external encoders. Everything seems to be in my comfort zone but.... I have a few questions: I am not sure what how these guys want to commission the drive(d-net, discreet I/O, sercos, or anything else) but what interface software would I need besides Ultraware to get this thing going? Using another controller is out of the question since they have 5 Ultra 3000's still in the box, and I can safely assume they are not using the "PAC" platform of AB controllers. The object is to use the servo to piece feed a material (at a predetermined amount, not sure how this is going to be input, or speed, or any other determing factor...isnt this fun already) and reverse (for some reason) for a short time, stop, and re-feed. Does anyone know if the Ultraware is a free DL or something that I/(we) will need to purchase? And, does anyone have a file that I can browse through to get an idea of what I am dealing with? This one is a new one on me but if it was easy everyone would be doing it, and I like the challenge. Just wanted to see what kind of feed back I would get. Thanks Guys!

If anyone care.... Update: Controller - 2098-DSD-010X Motor - N-3406-2-H00AA Ultraware is FREE...Here is the LINK http://www.rockwellsoftware.com/supp...il.cfm?ID=3655 So far I have everything wired and installed, just need a "gender bender" to complete my comm link. I will obtain one tomorrow. Here is the application: Customer wants the motor to oscillate back and forth @ 2000RPM with minimal stall before switching directions. Once the speed and distance are set during the "tweaking period" they will remain with no user input. Oh, they want to run this thing "Stand alone", No I/O. I think I will have to put a minimum of a timer relay to delay the enable signal while the driver starts up. I am wondering 2 things right off the bat, if I will need a reversing signal, and will I need to put a home sensor in place (on power up the drive can locate.) The docs are a little contradicting, some say this motor has an absolute signal and some do not acknowledge that. With the absolute signal I should not have to have a home sensor right, the servo knows its position on power up? Oh well I will play with this thing when I get the adapter!

From what I have read on the AB site you motor appears to have an encoder with marker pulse at 2000 pulses/rev not absolute feedback so if after a power cycle you want the motor to start from a known position you will have to perform a home sequence. If it can start from anywhere I think there is an immediate home function which basically means set position count 0 at the current location but that may not be suitable for your application. I am not at work at the moment so I can't check the details of your drive but I think the "x" in the part number indicates an "indexing" drive. We have several at work doing basic move functions however the home, start, stop and reset functions are co-ordinated with a PLC. Ultaware is fairly easy to navigate once you get familiar with the basics and the indexing table is a very easy to configure. What you are attempting to do sounds fairly easy to arrange with the indexing table however co-ordinating a home followed by an index my take some thought. The indexes can be set to automatically cascade ie once index one is complete move onto index two immediately and so on, so you could set up a continuous loop going with the forward and reverse function. I don't have ultraware infront of me however you may be able to trigger the first indext immediately after home just by configuring the software, that way all you would need is an input from somewhere to trigger the home immediately followed by index one (forward) then index two (backwards) then index one...... and so on. The other option would be to assign "home complete" to an output and then feed that signal back into an input then tie the input to trigger the first index. Can't comment on the dynamics of the system as you haven't mentioned mass to move, distance to move, time of move and drive train so hopefully the guys who are asking you to commission it have thought through the process, it might pay you to have a chat to them to understand the drive system and the torque output of your motor so you don't head off and drive the system too hard and do damage. Conversly the performance they are asking for might not be possible if the dynamics of the entire drive train have not been taken into account....if that where the case you could be trying to hit an unachievable target when you are tuning the system. I think you are on the right track by allowing the drive to power up before applying an enable signal, in our systems it is done by default as the plc takes time to boot up and by the time that happens, and the system is ready to take inputs from the operator, the drive is ready to go anyway. I will have a look at out Ultra 3000 indexing systems monday to refresh my memory that way I can make better comments.